Base Gasket. To seal or not to seal.

Should a seal be used on a base gasket?

• Total voters

peterg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
During my crank Overhaul I used Permatex on the base gasket. After running for a decent run I found the gasket creeping out of the joint. I wasn’t sure if it was the sealant or a poor quality gasket.
Yamaha, I think would have assembled that joint dry, the original gaskets were superior quality.

There are lots of methods that have worked for lots of guys, but here's the drill I follow. If the surfaces on both case and barrels are smooth, I hang the gasket on a wire and shoot it with a couple of coats of Permatex copper Spray-A-Gasket. There's no rush to assemble with that stuff, you can let the gasket sit for days and the dressing will still be good. If there are significant scratches or minor dings, I use Permatex Ultra Black. With that stuff you need to get things seated fairly quick. Best practice is to stack some spacers on 4 of the studs and torque to 8 ftlbs. or so. Let sit a day or so, then continue with top end assembly.

Thanks Gents.

Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket is on order. Thanks Jim. I’ll use it on the case side of the base gasket as well as between the cylinder head and cylinder head cover.

Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket. I was planning on using it on the head gasket without any sealant. Are there any pros or cons to using it along with Form-a-Gasket on the base gasket?

Why would you use two different compounds on the base gasket? Re. quality, Vesrah gaskets are identical to OE as far as I can tell.

Back