Battery charger/maintainer and pigtail...

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, all...

Some of you know that I have been having what appeared to be a charging issue, but in fact I'm hoping may be a neglected battery that will not hold a charge. My new battery should arrive today, so I'll likely install it this weekend and hope I'm right.

Question, though:

I have a little max 3 amp Schumacher SpeedCharge charger/maintainer. It came with a pigtail for ease of use. I have not used that yet. I was wanting to put the pigtail on the new battery, but the instructions don't address that. Do I just attach the positive lead of the tail to the positive post, and the negative to the negative, or do I have to attach the negative to a frame ground? I don't think the lead is long enough unless it will reach to where the harness ground attaches to the frame with a screw right behind the gas tank. Rather not lengthen it if I can avoid it.

Also, any safety precautions I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

TC

Okay... installed the new battery with the pigtail installed as you recommended, pumps. I plugged the charger in, and the battery started charging, so I know my connections are good. The charger went into maintenance mode almost immediately, though, but I'll leave it on for a bit.

The pigtail has a little plug that fits into a mate like an L-shaped ying-yang affair. One of the connectors is exposed. Should I put a little vacuum plug or something on that to protect it and me while the bike is not connected to the charger?

TC

The bare part of the plug is the ground connection. It won't hurt any thing to leave it bare. A cap of some sort to keep it clean would be a good idea.

Back