Battery?

Paul II

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've seen some of you guy talk about batteries, but the posts are kinda old. I have one of the XS1's, and was curious what you all think would be a good fit for it.

I've seen some of you guy talk about batteries, but the posts are kinda old. I have one of the XS1's, and was curious what you all think would be a good fit for it.

Hi Paul ll,
Over-wintering a bike battery is more hassle than it's worth.
If SD has the same climate as the Canadian Prairies, do what I do.
Toss the old battery when you winterize the bike and buy a new
bargain basement one in the Spring.

I’m too cheap to pitch mine each year. For anything like my boat, bike, hobby car, lawn tractor, I keep the batteries on a tender (trickle charger) 24/7. I don’t buy fancy, expensive batteries and this method keeps the batteries good for at least 5+ years.

Sorry Paul, I can’t answer your question specifically but I’m sure others will chime in. Did you do a search on the forum? I recall reading a lengthy discussion on this matter last year.

I’m too cheap to pitch mine each year. For anything like my boat, bike, hobby car, lawn tractor, I keep the batteries on a tender (trickle charger) 24/7. I don’t buy fancy, expensive batteries and this method keeps the batteries good for at least 5+ years.
Sorry Paul, I can’t answer your question specifically but I’m sure others will chime in. Did you do a search on the forum? I recall reading a lengthy discussion on this matter last year.
Hi bosco,
us Prairie dwellers reckon that folks from Oakville ON mistake their occasional snowstorms for a real winter.
FWIW I reckon a battery's over-winter survival chances get bigger with it's size.
Getting my bike battery through a Prairie winter was more hassle than it was worth but the car battery in my sidecar rig is now ~7 years old.

Hi bosco,
us Prairie dwellers reckon that folks from Oakville ON mistake their occasional snowstorms for a real winter.
FWIW I reckon a battery's over-winter survival chances get bigger with it's size.
Getting my bike battery through a Prairie winter was more hassle than it was worth but the car battery in my sidecar rig is now ~7 years old.
What is snow? Don’t remember seeing that before. Lol. We are actually quite fortunate as our weather is moderated by our proximity to Lake Ontario. We avoid most major snowstorms, unlike our friends south of the lake.

Here is the battery I have used on my last three restores.
Bikemaster AGM Platinum II Battery - MS12-12A-4A1 | eBay

I also use a Battery Tender all year.
Thanks man! I bought one, and we'll see if she works. I also recently starting washing off the paint, as the top layer was spray paint the previous owner put on it, but it looks like he sanded the original paint away. Anyone know someone who can paint my parts to factory colors???

Thanks man! I bought one, and we'll see if she works. I also recently starting washing off the paint, as the top layer was spray paint the previous owner put on it, but it looks like he sanded the original paint away. Anyone know someone who can paint my parts to factory colors???
Ask gggGary on this forum He had a 72 and 73 painted and they looked great.
new 72 paint done.jpg
new 72 paint done.jpg
paint done.jpg

This is no joke: I've had batteries last 7 years on a 1993 Honda ST1100; I only put in 3 batteries (Yuasa AGM) in it over the course of ownership (21 years). You can do the math. I'm religious about keeping them charged monthly, esp in the Wisconsin winters ( I now reside in Georgia) with an Optimate charger. Also, I only use Yuasa batteries, if available, or Bike Master. I get similar results on my other bikes. Not a fan of cheap batteries that'll only last a season or two. As you can see, I got my money's worth from those batteries AND the Optimate charger!

Back