Best tire for XS 650 with a vintage look.

XS-IVE Habit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am picking up my 1975B, she is ready to roll except it still has the original tires on it! As you might expect the weathering has gotten to them (they still hold air). Whats the best choice for a tire, that still looks vintage. Some new tires just look off on a vintage bike. I want a tire that will LAST. Grip is great but I want miles and miles from these.

100-90/19 or 110-90/19 front. The rear a 110-90/18 or 120-90/18. Are good sizes.

Whilst I've nothing at all against the Spitfires. How is it that you think they look vintage? I must be missing something, oh well not the first time lol.

THESE would be my selection for a period tyre for these bikes, hey you could buy these in the 70's. :cheers:

Dunlop sells a K70 and K81 that still looks the way they did in the 70's.

Cheng-Shin tyres, like the C180 or C199? Like an old Bates style tyre.
Not sure if there is a size that fits but its the look. There are some Bates remakes out there too. Just google Bates tyres.

Attachments

• Cheng-Shin-C180.jpg
    Cheng-Shin-C180.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Cheng-Shin-C199H.jpg
    Cheng-Shin-C199H.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 462
I just put a Dunlop K81 on the front of my B to cure the speed shimmy problem I was having with the Conti 110/90/19 and while it did fix the problem, I'm not really sold on the look of the tyre, it also looks physically smaller and doesn't fill out the chrome mudguard we well as the Conti did.

Perhaps I have it the other way around and the Dunlop K81 was what tyres were like ont these bikes in the 70s and the Conti was physically larger and I was used to that looks.

Thinking i might need to locate and fit some Bridgy Spitfires with RWL within the year to get the look I'm after.

I.

How about some Firestone straight treads. I can get you some tire sizes off my bike. I know the rear is the widest you can possibly fit on a factory swingarm. It only has about 3/16ths clearance.

Back