bigger front sprocket

benway0007

regret what you didnt do
Reaction score
im looking to use an 18 tooth sprocket on the front. the reason being is my bobber im building is a triumph frame and rear wheel set up(huge rear sprocket).... is there any 18 tooth sprockets avalible? i dont want my top speed to be 40

how many teeth does that triumph wheel have? An 18 front is the biggest you can go on an xs, and it may not be enough to offset that triumph sprocket.

Then you didn't look very hard. Look under wheels. Mike's item number 22-2618. $15.50
Leo

If you're interested, I've got a very slightly used 18T front sprocket that I just took off my bike - I had to change back to a 17, because I put an 18-inch rear wheel on instead of the 16-inch one.

If you're interested, I've got a very slightly used 18T front sprocket that I just took off my bike - I had to change back to a 17, because I put an 18-inch rear wheel on instead of the 16-inch one.

wait im putting an 18 inch rear on mine instead of a 16. but the rear sprocket is a 46 tooth. is there a set up i can use that doesnt look sooooo 80's

The 18 tooth front sprocket won't be any good with a 46 tooth rear, you need to get that rear down to the mid 30's or use the high ratio primary's as well.

I had the same problem as you wheel with a sprocket with to many teeth. and not being able to go anywhere near 60 mph. the link that i posted earler to rebel gears have MANY rear sprockets for trimuphs oem 47teeth but they have them in 30 and 33 teeth and up. My wheel oem was 38 teeth not good, But a 30 tooth gear from rebel gears am I am a very happy camper

:smoke: they also make custom sprockets just give them the measurements and how many teeth you want. and your headache is over

Last edited:
Keep a close eye on chain tension and wear when running an 18 tooth front the clutch push rod lives very close..............

I had the same prolem with my 63' BSA. I put a rear XS hub and machined it until it mached the BSA swing arm. I am using 38 sprocket XS instead of the 42 BSA . Tony C

Back