bike stalls out once throttle is applied - 74 TX

marvintheminnow

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
finally worked out a spark issue and got my bike starting on one kick with a good idle. as soon as i give it throttle the bike dies. it is also sputtering pretty hard through the carbs when im trying to kick it back over. sometimes i have to give it gas while kicking it over and continue to hold it pretty wide open to keep it running.

im running pod filters with exhaust cut at the baffles. 47.5 in the pilot one over stock on the main, needle clip on stock position, air mixture screw 2 1/2 full turns out.

im pretty sure its a fuel issue but im not sure.

any help appreciated

Ditto on RG's impression. Also, pull your ATU cover off and make sure that your weights are returning to rest properly. If they're binding and hanging out partially advanced, your bike may balk at throttle. I have had this problem.

i replaced my pamco unit & coil as a result of a weak spark issue, kicked the bike over and ran it around the block a couple times with "doggy" throttle responce at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. when i returned i noticed one of my carbs was leaking so i took it apart and found out one of my floats had a crack and was full of gas. i repaired the crack and reassembled the carbs and now it wont allow me to give it any gas without stalling.

im going to check the advance and measure the float height.

Back