Blew the main fuse again...

TeeCat sorry you are having such a tough time. Sometimes it's just like that though, maybe next week or a different bike will be better. I know I have gotten good deals on vehicles that the owner just couldn't stomach working on anymore. Fixed one last thing and they run problem free for years the PO had fixed everything! Then again I have ebay'd a bike out as parts because the fix it list had become endless.

Gary, I suppose that, when I get some time, I'll start with the obvious things, like looking at the brushes. They were new last season, but maybe something's knackered in there. What's odd is that this all started after I had the solid state reg/reg unplugged as million times today replacing the split loom with less bulky spiral. But I don't think that would cause the charging system to just quit. It'll be some big-ticket, PITA thing like a stator or rotor.

So, here we go again.

Hi there,I,m not saying this is the problem with your bike blowing the fuse,but here goes.
My 1st 650 Yam was stock standard back in the 70s and just like everyone else I began to turn it it to a chopper....I just love the rigid....oh sweet memories....Eh hem back to the fuse.
Now one of the first things I chucked in the bin were the blinkers and as it was an every day bike I kept on riding,but she used to blow a main fuse for no apparent reason so I would carry around some foil (the one that comes in a packet of smokes) and whenever that would wear out and shut the bike down I would just pull over and renew the foil and off I'd go.
It just so happened one night and when I turned on the key I couldn't believe it when I saw a spark coming from the centre of the bike somewhere and then the fuse went again.After wheeling the bike under a street light I saw the offending culprit....It was the damn blinker box wires touching the frame and all it was just a case of removing it and tossing it to the Shitehausen...end of problem.
So the moral of the story is if U can't see what's casing this then try and start the bike in the dark.
Another 650 (Special) used to blow a fuse when a cable came into contact with the coils under the tank,Have U tried there?Wish I was there to help.P.S.Sorry for double posting.

Last edited:
tx, thanks for your post, but I'm hoping that I have solved the fuse issue. The current item on the menu is a charging system that has spontaneously decided not to work. Maybe I should start a separate thread for it.

TC

TeeCat;
Yes, you do seem to have a lot of gremlins in your garage. Perhaps an exorcism could be arranged...............ha.ha just kidding.

Seriously, if you have lost charging, you start with the step by step process as explained in "Curly's Charging system guide"

Always check the rotor (and brushes)first. Hold a feeler gauge down by the rotor and turn on the key..............do you get a magnetic fireld?

RG, thanks... Curly's procedure sort of loses me pretty quickly. Let me refer you to the thread I started on this topic if you don't mind:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2353

I do get a field. It pulls a socket onto the crank nut pretty substantially. With the cover on I get a pull on a very thin feeler gauge, but less, obviously.

Brushes are new as of last season and there can't possibly be much wear on them because... well... the bike rarely gets ridden because it prefers to sit and be worked on...

TC

Back