BMX/MTB Grips

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I want some lock-on grips from BMX or MTB, and although I've found some that'll fit the 7/8" bars, I'm not sure about the throttle.

Will it be a tight fit or not work at all?

I'm using Duo Bmx grips on my bike. I've always used wd40 to put grips on my bmx bike. I did the same thing on the XS. Spray a little bit inside the grip and slide the grip on. I did however use some safety wire to wrap outside of each grip so no water gets under the grip.

When I worked at a bike shop we used hair spray to install grips. They would slide on easily and when it dries they stuck really well. Never had a problem with it.

Depends on the lock on grips. Some have a rigid tube that the grip is molded to. If they are molded I don't believe they will get over the throttle housing. Let us know if you try.

Use carb cleaner or brake cleaner. You can use the long hose and shove it under the grip. One squirt and it loosens up and dries in seconds.

The nice thing about carb and brake cleaner is it evaporates clean. There is no residue or slime of any kind left over.

Anyone else for lock-on grips?

The only kind that I think might work, would be the ones that use the hinged circular alloy hoop at each end with a little allen to snug them up when Installed. They might work... but I bet you'd still struggle to get them off the throttle side easily. Honestly, Just having a lock on grip on the clutch side would be enough I'd think since the throttle assembly slides off as a unit anyway. Maybe just run a lock on on the clutch side and a matching, normal grip on the throttle?

Back