Bought a dirty torn apart xs 650 for mock up???

Myowncreation

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am building a complete bike from scratch. The catch is I have never ridden before and this attempt, I mean successful project, is for a welding class. I have access to a lathe, mill and of course welders and fab equipment. I am very mechanical but have never had the chance to rebuild a motor of any sort. SO!!! with that being said, I bought a xs 650 in parts minus the head so I would have something to mock up in the bike and I am at that point. The motor was in a corner of a garage the head is gone the cylinders where off of it and both pistons had holes burnt in them and the one piston ate it self so the cylinder wall is scored. MY QUESTION, I really want to rebuild it but is it worth my time, the crank rotates but who knows what all got down there, it has been sitting in a garage letting the elements get to it. Any thoughts???

I think the answer to that really depends on how much you dropped into this motor to begin with. Everything is rebuildable at a cost.

Start taking the thing apart and find out what it needs and if it's worth the effort. It's only money :)

I got it for 20 bucks

For $20 start tearing into it and see whats going on inside. For $20 I wouldn't be scared to spend some cash on it then. Keep your eyes on the classifieds and there likely is some decent used parts that come up.

First part you should buy though is a manual. Then start pulling things apart.

Back