Brake lubricant

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_3953.pngIMG_3954.png

My supply of Sil-Glyde has come to an end and I need to buy more or a substitute. Looking on line I am reminded at how expensive everything has become. I use this to lube brake slide pins and other wear surfaces on braking systems. I also have used it to lube rubber bits to assist in assembly and keep things moving. Question is, do I buy the same thing again, which will probably last me to the end of my wrenching days or do I get the newer “high tech” silicone / ceramic stuff? The orange ceramic stuff looks good but wouldn’t be a good plan to use this to lube rubber bits - messy and can see the color. Any thoughts?

I did brake pad replacements for friends and relatives for a while. $20 a wheel plus parts. The first wheel on some of those f&*cking cars was a real PITA, the second easy peasy after I figured out the routine. Anyway, I always bought a little "ketchup packet" sized brake grease packet with the parts at the auto supply store and used less than half so I have a fair supply of un opened in my tool box.

As you probably know, I'm a big fan of red rubber grease. Besides the brakes, it's great for lubing any other rubber parts. It's a special grease made just for rubber from vegetable oil, not regular petroleum oil. I first learned of it here on the forum from some of our English members. It's very popular over there and readily available. Not so much here, lol. In fact, I ordered mine all the way from England. I recently bought a second can as my 1st is getting low already, Yes, I use it a lot, but I gave lots away in little containers to all my biking buddies, lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1527728275...oiSDyaPXlPC76R7HlK2fBlYC3ign|tkp:BFBM5u2Ptohj

My latest "new use" for this stuff - CV carb diaphragms. I smear it all over the diaphragm plus apply it to the seal groove on top of the carb body. The tops seal very well using this stuff plus I think it helps soften and preserve the rubber .....

DiaphragmGreased3.jpg

DiaphragmGreased2.jpg

DiaphragmGreased4.jpg

Question is, do I buy the same thing again, which will probably last me to the end of my wrenching days or do I get the newer “high tech” silicone / ceramic stuff?
Ask yourself 'what is it about my usual product that I don't like and has it ever let me down?'
If the answer is 'nothing and never' then why change and potentially have a product that doesn't perform as well?

As you probably know, I'm a big fan of red rubber grease. Besides the brakes, it's great for lubing any other rubber parts. It's a special grease made just for rubber from vegetable oil, not regular petroleum oil. I first learned of it here on the forum from some of our English members. It's very popular over there and readily available. Not so much here, lol. In fact, I ordered mine all the way from England. I recently bought a second can as my 1st is getting low already, Yes, I use it a lot, but I gave lots away in little containers to all my biking buddies, lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152772827582?epid=1769728619&hash=item2391f859be:g:lUIAAOSwX8dbnMBR&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4Crz5YFb3whzrJteAHLAtUdPG4kfhmx8C9OELoXlOqsPyNkSYLb/fsPblXvtFjZDkv4flwazcumFoqec3Xesxfw9JqpxGDUVuQT6I1/7gYjyBbBfFcjIHyp1PK6JACiTIBz88oc2ZwcIDkdQi2xDxO+QmJwhuGy0rNYUtmhadmXTW31aZGbtakXA/T9Oy6LWaijaoAnV3KnNyYs0LVrBlYcKGm8GNR3qO8El5+2pb1I8MP3FjPxLmQWYaUe5gNKLTMNHgUCXHJsiSo1ioiSDyaPXlPC76R7HlK2fBlYC3ign|tkp:BFBM5u2Ptohj
Red Rubber Grease is the correct lubricant for brake applications. Piston/seal kits often come with a little one-time use packet of it. It's worth going to the trouble and expense of finding it.
Sil-Glyde has been demonstrated to slightly alter/swell rubber. It's been discussed on this Forum. If you are going to use a silicone-based lube, use one that is 100% silicone, such as:
https://www.divers-supply.com/tride...ork=g&targetid=pla-588087368866&gad_source=1&
It will not alter/swell rubber.

Local NAPA counter guy thinks I eat sylglide like library paste, but I don't use it on brake parts or carb diaphragms.

Yep, that's the stuff. Another place I like to use it is on the footpeg mount rubbers, makes them slide on and off so nice. And on the later plastic side cover mounting grommets .....

RedRubberGrease.jpg

RedRubberGrease2.jpg

Last edited:
Must have gotten popular! My local supplier said they just ran out and will have more in a couple of weeks.

Ok i'm sold, just bought a jar off Amazon to add to my collection of greases and sealants.

I will have to get some too. Those fuel tank pucks are always sticky. I am using noting now. I used the wrong grease before and it was difficult to get the tank off.

Back