Brakes , converting to disk brakes

rubicon1000

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you convert the rear drum spoked rim to disk brake? does the dish bolt up or no

You need a disk rear wheel, rear brake caliper, and swing arm. post a wanted in your local craigslist lots of the chooper boober guys would be happy to swap. If you have spokes there is no simple answer. There IS an Omars kit in the classifieds right now but then you need a front wheel to put it on.
I was eying a drum backing plate to disk conversion idea but it gets pretty darned involved. Basically you would need a machine shop and some pretty strong fab skills to pull it off.

Most builds I see that have rear spoke-disc setups are using another brand of wheel. Harley rims and brakes are common, late model imports are used too but you need to do some mods to the bike in general. Axle plates, spacers, drive chain sprocket alignment and of course the master cyclinder and pedal assembly.

I have swapped the drum for the disc on my 75. Lots of parts swapping and welding on the frame. You have to use a mag wheel and everything from the brake pedal back. It can be a PIA to swap. Would I do it again? No. easier to just get one with the rear disc.

im trying to do the same thing but it seems i need a parts list or something im trying to put disc on the back with some new mags but not having luck with the spacing i have a 3 year old who loves to help and im always loosing parts got any help for me.

Starting at the brake pedal, the pedals are the same. You need every thing from the pedal back. The swing arm will save some welding.
There are many parts places that have parts fiches that show all the parts and how they go together. www.babbittsonline.com has a list I use.

I am buying a drum brake bike tomorrow. I will change over to disc first thing. The bike is coming down to nuts and bolts. From my research I will need a swing arm, rear caliper with mount, brake stay arm, and rear master cylinder components. I can see that I will need to weld on the rear master cylinder mount. Would that be the only welding on the frame needed? Including the resevoir mount? I plan on using a Omar's 19" wheel conversion kit. Am I moving in the right direction here or not?

Sounds like it will work. You can weld the strut mount on the top of a drum brake swing arm or use a disc brake swing arm. The hardest part was getting the M/C in the right place to get the push rod from the pivot shaft up to the M/C straight and close enough. If to high the rod won't reach.

Back