BRASS and COPPER WASHERS on the CYLINDER HEAD

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fellers,

I have read in a couple of threads about replacing the eight rubber washers to the eight dome nuts on the cylinder head with brass and copper washers. While I am waiting for the ThreeBond sealant to drop in my letter box I have the opportunity to pick up the recommended washers - just one thing, can somebody tell me if all eight dome nuts should end up with a brass washer and a copper washer as well sitting underneath them?

I saw a pic on Airwolfie's rebuild (great pics and easy to follow) - looks like he put brass washers on the outside four, and copper on the inside four.

Anlaf

Attachments

• 9957617674_bb2d96bdf2_b.jpg
    9957617674_bb2d96bdf2_b.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 762
As fare as I know, there should be brass washers on all. I don't know what's going on in that picture.

Well if I were Airwolfie I would switch them around.
The copper on the 4 outside bolts. That's where the oil passages are.
The 4 inside bolts steel washer are okay. There is no oil going through them.
I'm sure that the OME setup is 4 steel washers on the 4 inside bolts . And the 4 outside got the rubber washer setup. the 4 copper washers take place of the rubber washers.
the main reason for copper over brass is copper is softer.

Last edited:
I did a retorque this last weekend, and used 8 of the brass washers from Mikes. As Iamcarbon has already stated the four outside washers need to be sealed because of oil passages, but I used them on the inside four as well, because I like symmetry, and I read somewhere the brass will hold the torque setting better. They seem to work well, no leaks, and my head gasket has stopped seeping too.

Philip
Posted via Mobile

Ha. Only the four on the outside need the special washers. The inner four keep the original washers. Some people use brass and some copper. One washer under each nut! Sounded like you wanted one of each kind of metal. Mine are brass and there's no oil leaking. I'd prefer them over copper myself because 1. Copper varies tremendously in hardness and I've flattened out copper washers before. 2. My brass ones are sealing just fine.

Back