Brass cam bushings with Pamco kit

bobber bill

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I almost got my once-holed motor all put back together. At the point where I'm assembling the Pamco ignition components at my camshaft and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these 3 brass bushings that came with the kit. My cam already has some steel bushings/bearings in them and I might just leave them in. UNLESS, it is absolutely better to use the new brass bushings. If this is the case, whats the best way to remove the existing bushings/bearings from inside the cam?

with a stick! lol, i'm only kidding. i can't offer any advice but is your motor a TCI or one that had stock points? i'm curious cuz one day soon i'll be buying a pamco ignition unit and i'm trying to learn everything so i can avoid any surpirses.

You don't need to install the new bushings if your cam already has them unless the originals are worn out (rare). It appears you bought the kit for the '80-on TCI bikes? The cams in those bikes came with no bushings installed because they weren't needed any longer (no advance rod).

You don't need to install the new bushings if your cam already has them unless the originals are worn out (rare). It appears you bought the kit for the '80-on TCI bikes? The cams in those bikes came with no bushings installed because they weren't needed any longer (no advance rod).

thanks, seems to be the case. i just ordered the most comprehensive kit so i could replace as much of the ignition with new components. cant wait to get this thing on the road already

Bobber Bill,

Well, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and install the advance mechanism that came with that kit. Check the notes in www.yamahaxs650.com instructions for installing the advance mechanism and advance rod.

Back