lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20231127_171716.jpg
Finally Found the New Ones!
But just wondering, and maybe to ask it is to answer it, could these be reused without annealing them? They are pretty thick....

View attachment 256087
Finally Found the New Ones!
But just wondering, and maybe to ask it is to answer it, could these be reused without annealing them? They are pretty thick....
put em on a peg board hook (or any wire) heat reddish with a torch, done.

Brass is one of those metals that'll anneal naturally or by quenching. There's a name for it but it escapes me right now.... :umm:
Quenching in water does the better job of annealing, but only just. both will work just fine for all practical purposes.

Brass is one of those metals that'll anneal naturally or by quenching. There's a name for it but it escapes me right now.... :umm:
Quenching in water does the better job of annealing, but only just. both will work just fine for all practical purposes.
Thank you Jim. I didn't want to make a huge back and forth and your explanation covers all sides. Particularly for those of us who got it red hot but forgot to get a cup of water to dunk it in. You are a gem here.

I see that, somehow, brass became copper...not that it matters, but they're not the same thing. FWIW I doubt that the objects are brass by much. And yeah, heat and quench reuse if they're not cracked - use magnifying glass. The wiki has fair entry under "brass". Sheet copper turns up sometimes, if your eyes fall upon some, get it. With a bit of creativity it's punchable and handy. Mrs North found some at the junkstore! (it went into my electrical junk boxes)

yeah fleabay or aliexpress.........
I see that, somehow, brass became copper...not that it matters, but they're not the same thing. FWIW I doubt that the objects are brass by much. And yeah, heat and quench reuse if they're not cracked - use magnifying glass. The wiki has fair entry under "brass". Sheet copper turns up sometimes, if your eyes fall upon some, get it. With a bit of creativity it's punchable and handy. Mrs North found some at the junkstore! (it went into my electrical junk boxes)

Copper's better suited to the job, and I think what those Zooky washers are made of, so the change?

yeah fleabay or aliexpress.........

Copper's better suited to the job, and I think what those Zooky washers are made of, so the change?
Indeed so. Cu 100% ahbetcha. Still, what you want and what you get...manufacturer may not care...

Interesting papers on brass ol'timey copper in refractory "coffin" with charcoal and zinc oxide ore, the vapors change the copper to brass! Ahdidnotknow! Paper from 1858, iirc. Best! N

While on the subject, How about the copper sealing washers for the large oil drain plugs?
They are rather large and I can't get all of it under a torch at the same time. Just work my way around them getting read hot and don't quench?

While on the subject, How about the copper sealing washers for the large oil drain plugs?
They are rather large and I can't get all of it under a torch at the same time. Just work my way around them getting read hot and don't quench?
Depends... if it's the crush type (most common), all you can do is replace it.
If it's a solid copper, yeah... just go around it and get a dull to middling red and let it air cool. Will work just fine.

Once or twice on oddball industrial machinery where production costs were urgent, I have tinned over the copper with lead/tin solder...if one does this it's important to remember tin creep, re-tighten the next day or two. But for practical purposes a little gasket substitute loctite and away we go...

Once or twice on oddball industrial machinery where production costs were urgent, I have tinned over the copper with lead/tin solder...if one does this it's important to remember tin creep, re-tighten the next day or two. But for practical purposes a little gasket substitute loctite and away we go...
I'm going to have to try this out of curiosity. I even have a roll of that evil lead based solder at home.

copper was mis-id'd as brass

Back