bratstyle electrical box??

matt81xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so in my build of my 81 xs ive come to the point where i need to hide the electrics, i have to use the blinkers/tailights/battery....basically everything!!! What have you guys done and are there photos? any help appreciated

I am having to figure this out too. I think I am going to build a simple sheet metal box to mount below where the swing arm meets the frame for the battery. As for the electronics and cables, thinking a pony keg or coffee can with some kin of custom grommets for wiring and custom latch for access.

sounds kinda like the norm for the hardtails. As far as the battery goes how do you mount it down there? On its side or is there enough room to be upright, do they make a jell battery like the optimas that can be mounted any which way????

Here is what I did on my 81.
none of the wires are seen, its all hidden in the little aluminum box mounted in front of my air ride shock, its approx. 4"x3.5" x 5", I crammed an assload of wires, ign box, key switch and a toggle for main disco in it, the reg. is mounted on top

4 inch exhaust pipe. Made a nice flat piece to mount rectifier, regulator and starter solenoid. Slides in and bolts from the outside.bikes 014.jpg

Thanx. Working on the end plates today. 1/8 inch aluminum that will be polished. Ignition switch on the right side.

just to update. I decided to not use the big ass battery that I bought from mikes. I followed this thread and bought a small battery. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities for brat builds as there is no longer a need for that huge battery box.

:bike:Well, anyway, mines done and polished. Here's some pics. Rode the bike today, f'ing awesome!

Attachments

• dashit 004.jpg
    dashit 004.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 338
  • dashit 005.jpg
    dashit 005.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 343
Not just my face, but my ass as well. My seat is still being covered. I was sitting on a towel over the springs!:yikes:

I can't say I used a towel on the springs because I still have a stock frame. I did have the seat take a crap and while it was off I rode with a few shop rags folded on top of the battery to ride. I was amazed at the difference in how the bike handled. Dropping my butt a couple inches lowered the center of gravity and it tossed side to side much easier.

Talked to the guy doing my seat today. Hopefully done by Saturday. True about that low center of gravity. My wife has a 250 Rebel. Boy can you whip that thing around! BTW, sorry about the hijack Matt. Is your bike stock framed or hardtailed?

Back