broken anchor for kick start spring

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this 77 as a complete bike, but with a hole in a piston, so have never had it started. Tearing it down for a 750 conversion, opened up side cover and a large JB coated chuck of metal is loose inside. It appears to be the anchor for the kickstart spring, broken off the case. The picture shows the broken off area as well as the loose chunk sitting on the mating surface.
Questions: 1. If I go e-start only I am guessing that other than figuring out a way to seal off the holes left by the kick start, it should be a non-issue (if I want to be e-start only - fine for modern bikes)
2. I have a spare case, but I am guessing that the top and bottom are matched at the factory so both would have to be changed, thus my numbers matching 77 would no longer have that distinction.
3.Is it feasible to even consider trying to have the piece welded back on, or is there enough meat in that part to drill and tap for a dowel?

Attachments

• 100_4841.JPG
    100_4841.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 198
Thank you. I confess that I did not search first, that will not happen again.

I bought this 77 as a complete bike, but with a hole in a piston, so have never had it started. Tearing it down for a 750 conversion, opened up side cover and a large JB coated chuck of metal is loose inside. It appears to be the anchor for the kickstart spring, broken off the case. The picture shows the broken off area as well as the loose chunk sitting on the mating surface.
Questions: 1. If I go e-start only I am guessing that other than figuring out a way to seal off the holes left by the kick start, it should be a non-issue (if I want to be e-start only - fine for modern bikes)
2. I have a spare case, but I am guessing that the top and bottom are matched at the factory so both would have to be changed, thus my numbers matching 77 would no longer have that distinction.
3.Is it feasible to even consider trying to have the piece welded back on, or is there enough meat in that part to drill and tap for a dowel?
......................... hi you can actually drill and tap a hole and place a socket head cap screw in its place it will work very well regards oldbiker

Back