BS38s problem HELP

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fellers

Everything has been working fine. Cam chain, valve clearance, timing all in near to perfect order as I can get them. I have read the carb guide several times, and just flicked through again. I cleaned the carbs and set: jets as per advice from 5twins and now 2-1/4 turns out on the mixture screw (through exhaust and UNIs,) and tried various float heights around the carb guide 24mm for all BS38s. Still cut-out in the idle range. Great 575 mile ride around Wales a couple of weeks ago no problems except an HT lead had failed - I didn't realise it was that until I had re-set everything on the bike looking for the problem when I got home. Now I ride along, perhaps round a bend off the gas, and the engine cuts out, and a bugger to get going again. I leave it for a while and the bike starts. Plugs light brown.

One other thing. I tested the diaphragms with the thumb over the inlet and watching them come down - both drop slowly down. On the left I noticed tiny bubbles coming out by the descending cylinder. I imagine that must be residual fuel hanging around.

Any ideas, fellers?

I am getting my hands on a vacuum tester today. I don't think it has anything to do with synchronisation because I have made little adjustments all week, and the cut-out is still there. Air leaks?

The give-away sign is cut-out at idle or very low revs.

ANLAF

Hey, ANLAF! Here's an el-cheapo test. Turn off the fuel petcock(s) during your ride, and see if conditions change during bowl depletion. If, after a few seconds, it clears up and runs fine for awhile, that may indicate too high a float level. If not, could indicate jetting problems, or something ignition...

Thanks, TwoMany, I will do the test.

I thought of the jets and swapped back down to my original jets - I will try that out shortly (the rain came in, so @'ve had to come in for a cup of tea and a hot-cross bun).

I have mulled over, too, re ignition. I am waiting for a new battery, so I am on a SPARX. I wonder - could it be something in the ignition, but what? Maybe something as simple as a loose or dirty connection. Her goes with the multimeter again.

It's all good fun.

ANLAF

Well, TwoMany, let's bring enlightenment. I have attached some picture - small current buns with a cross motif. Traditionally served at Easter, hence the cross. These beauties are great as they are or toasted with lashings of butter. Absolutely deeeelicious.

Now, while we are on the subject of 'What the heck...' I have no idea what those items are, what was it? a Nehi and calapua or something like that? Sounds interesting, sounds edible.

ANLAF

Attachments

• hot_cross_buns_74750_16x9.jpg
    hot_cross_buns_74750_16x9.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 219
  • hot_cross_buns2.jpg
    hot_cross_buns2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Hot Cross Buns alt.png
    Hot Cross Buns alt.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 231
Oh, yeah, those hot-cross buns look tasty. I'm gettin' hungry again.

So, in the interest of promoting international gluttonou.... er, .... cullinary delights, I present:

1 - Nehi soda.
When you got old enuff and big enuff (knee-high to a grasshopper), you were allowed to have your first sody-water, a Nehi Grape soda.

The diner was out of Nehi, so got a 'Big Red' instead.

2 - Chalupa. (Not chupacabra, those things are hard to cook and taste funny.)
A fried flat corn tortilla, slathered with refritos (refried beans), cheese, lettuce, tomato, and quacamole (avocado paste).
The white dollip of sour cream tells you this is the 'gringo' (white guy) variant, suitable for yankee tourists.

A delightful snack, very crispy, sometimes explosive. First bite usually produces a shrapnel field of tortilla shards, a great way to meet new people...

Attachments

• Nehi.jpg
    Nehi.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Chalupa.jpg
    Chalupa.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 212
Back