cafe bars

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
What kind of handlebars would be appropriate for a café bike? I thought about clip on bars but my headlight ears are mounted at that point on the forks. I have seen inverted boardtrack style bars that I like but don't know if they would look right on a café style bike.
jefft

If you have the stock ears, you couldn't put clip ons anyways as they are a sleeve that go over the forks. You could go with clubman bars.

Don't have stock ears and the ones I have will be in the way of clip ons. Been using clubman but was just looking at other options. Maybe a drag style bar.

jefft

Thanks for the M bar suggestion. I had never seen them but now that I have I like them. jefft

Can go with clip one and shorten the headlight ears. If you do go with clip ons don't use the ones from Mikes, they don't fit. The handle bar bar needs to be ahead of the fork stanchion to clear the switch gear from the tank. Mikes ones have the bar too far back and you wind up with no steering lock.
Any one want to buy a as-new pair of mikes clip ons?

If using clip-ons or even ace bars, rearset pegs are absolutely required, in my opinion. Low bars combined with the fairly forward position of the stock pegs provide neither comfort nor control. In fact, even with low(ish) normal bars, the footpegs are too far forward. Modern adventure bikes (BMW, KTM, etc) have a good footpeg location for comfort and control.

In fact, I would recommend sorting out footpeg location before changing the handlebars to anything lower than standard "euro" bars.

I'm using the Tommaselli Adjustable Condor Clubman Bars.

Attachments

• user2044_pic3449_1308420282.jpg
    user2044_pic3449_1308420282.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 98
Just received the "M" bars yesterday. I had a little time to remove the clubman and put the new handlebar in place. So far I am very pleased with both the look and position it allows. I didn't even know the name of these bars until a member here mentioned them. I think a lot of folks are using them on the new Triumphs. It is allowing me plenty of room and no crowding of the controls. After buying mine I was searching the web and found that "Hotwings Glass", whom I bought a café seat from years ago, also had them for about half of what I paid for mine.
jefft

Back