Cafe Seat on a stock bike

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I searched for a while, but cant seem to find a good cafe seat that will fit on a stock '81 without cutting the frame.
I really dont want to make my own either. Just looking for a ready made one.
Any help is appreciated

Isn't the one you have now considered a cafe style seat? What do you want to change?

Yes, it is.
I should clarify. I want one that is fiberglass and has the paintable rear bubble. And a more flat appearance.
I have seen them, but cant locate any for sale.

I searched for a while, but cant seem to find a good cafe seat that will fit on a stock '81 without cutting the frame.
I really dont want to make my own either. Just looking for a ready made one.
Any help is appreciated
Hi littlebill,
I guess you want a flattie bumstop seat pad and cover on a stock '80+ seat pan?
Betcha your only options are to DIY or to get a custom seat built onto a salvaged seat pan at a vehicle upholsterer's shop.
You want a hollow bumstop to put electrical stuff in/integrate lights into or just a simple padded blob?

Those Chinese seats don't look that bad. Wary of buying from china though.. Price is tempting...

http://motorcycleseatsdirect.com/
http://www.motorcycleseatsdirect.com/search.php?search_query=xs650&x=12&y=6

Most of the reviews I could find were favorable. The down side is that you eat big shipping charges if you don't like it.
1980_1983_Yamaha_XS650_Special_cafe_seat_metal_pan_2__38003.1369762049.1280.1280.JPG

It appears Mike's XS dropped the '80-'83 cafe seat. That's too bad. It looked good on those bikes.

Well the guy I am buying from is FREE shipping so I am going to check them out and like I said I may buy some. They have them for a lot of bikes. I buy the piston kits from another guy and they have all worked great so far. I have a CB750 with a big bore kit and it has already clocked 18,000 miles and all good. This is why this voting bullshit is crazy. You can get good stuff from overseas and here in US we made it so hard for a small business to stay open.
AS AMERICANS WE ARE IN TROUBLE. I hate to buy overseas but that is where the deals are.

Here's mine... I got it from Airtech... had it upholstered/painted. I didn't cut up my frame, but did come up with a seat frame under the fiberglass seat pan so I could use the side hinges. Not sure on your year that's an option...but if you don't care about the rear latch, and come up with your own mounting options, you could use this.

full

That's a beauty!! That's exactly what I am looking for.
I have an '81 Special II.
Is there anyway you could get me some pictures of the underside?
And what type from Airtech. I see they have several variations.
Thanks

I'm not home, but there's a few pics in my albums...here's how it came:
full

Even though they don't show it, you can have them build an upholstery pan when you order it...(that's the greenish colored thing you see), but it's totally worth the $40? to get it made. And then I had a local shop cover it to my design.

I got this one:
vsl11contact.jpg

A few notes, the length was just a tad longer than I wanted, so after I received it, I cut the front of the seat pan/upholstery pan back about 2 inches. No issues fitting it... It's wider than the rails so it will sit down low, and will clear the rear hoop.

As I mentioned, I built a base to use the side hinges (Probably could have used the pan itself, but felt like getting it up off the rails would add too much stress:
full

Hope this helps...good luck.

Back