Cafe tank ideas

Samuraiace

Workin from the shed
Reaction score
I've been working on a cafe racer build for a while and I'm looking for a good tank to catch the look. Maybe something stock from a different bike or working my own. What are other people using? Suggestions? :shrug:

the Benelli Mojave 360 looks great, but its rather overused.
There are lots of honda tanks that would probably work- I just picked up a Honda CB350 for my own personal build.

Dude, you should come up to Auburn Maine to the Cycle Barn. There's about 300 tanks upstairs, and 5 XS frames in the basement. You could walk them down and look at how they sit to help wit hyour decision. I had that thought the last time I was over there.

http://mainecycle.net/the-warehouse.html

I just looked on their website, and the wharehouse is temporarily closed.

I agree - also, it almost doubles your range compared to a 650 Special tank

Attachments

• 27Jul2012_1.jpg
    27Jul2012_1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 329
I think I can get a NOS 750 tank for less than $625.00. Cool stuff, but I don't think people is states that don't touch saltwater are looking to put that much cash in a fuel bag.
$0.02

I have a copy of an Aermacchi Five gallon tank that I made from Hand-laid fiberglass. I have never put gas in it. It should be finished and painted. I did coat the inside with aircraft grade mix rated for alcohol. I will try to post a picture.

Last edited:
The pictures of the homade gas tank. P.S. it will fit a xs650 if the front frame mounts ar cut.

Attachments

• P8200001.jpg
    P8200001.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 173
  • P8200004.jpg
    P8200004.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 168
As long as you use an epoxy based resin instead of polyester, it should not have the alcohol problem. Looks like a real nice job. Is that a 181 weave, or a 150?

Long Eazy (hell, I don't know how to spell it either, that's why I'm working on a Lockheed!) should be 181. That's a good tough weave. Looked like a familiar color on the resin, but I can't tell you for the life of me right now what the brand is! Nice looking work! The whole alcohol tank on a Cessna S550 is made out of the same materials, and it sits full of ethanol all the time, so it should be able to handle just about anything a notor will burn!

Tonyc wicked nice job on that tank it looks killer, snap me a pic when you mount it I'd love to see it on a frame:thumbsup:

The thing I'm finding hard with most tanks is the width towards the rear. If you put a cafe seat against it most often the seats like two inches too wide. :shrug:
What are people using for seats?

This tank narrows in the rear and is perfect for cafe seats. I will probably not use this tank. My next build is a military style in drab green.

Back