Cam chain alignment.

Reaction score
Okay guys so super confused here. So if you look at the picture below you can see the master chain link, and also the arrow which is next to the marker that indicates where the master chain should be (when at top dead center, and then the marker is in the middle pointing up) . I know I'm not at top dead center. But I took to picture like this because the master link is 3-4 places off from where the master chain link should be. (which is above marker. So when I put my engine back together I should get it where it should be...This all sounds correct right?

Well thats what I'm thinking is right, the only thing is that my bike was running like this, and not too poorly either. Not perfect, but not poorly. Anyways my question is should I move the master chain to the indicated spot marked on the cam? or should I put it back exactly how it was??? Super lost here. Any advice would be great!

Also what are the consequences if I do put the chain in the wrong spot on the cam??

Is it possible my cam chain was previously messed with and the chain dropped, then was put on crooked?? The only reason I could see it being okay as it is, is because when the maker on the cam is facing up it is also at TDC. Anyways, fire away. lets hear what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_20150611_181729.jpg
    IMG_20150611_181729.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 208
It doesn't matter where your master link is to be honest, TDC is determined by having your marker at the 12 O'clock position. Your master link can be either side of that, It doesn't matter.

So with your marker being at 12 o'clock and it being at TDC, its fine.

Haha okay solid. Thats what I needed to know thanks. Had a little freak out over nothing there.

Ps. I'm deciding between doing a 750 kit or just getting my cylinder bored out to an oversize. Just wondering is there anything else besides the 750 kit that I need for the engine ( not including new front sprocket, and maybe new brake calibers, etc. ). I've heard new cam is suggested.

Thanks

Mike's 750 kit comes with all you need to install. If the engine has some miles, while your in there it's a good idea to change the cam chain and front cam chain guide.
While the head is off is a good time to tear it down to check the vales, stem to guide clearance. Clean everything up and lap the valves.
Some minor port clean up to remove casting marks and clean up the roughness without removing more metal than needed.
Checking the rods for side clearance and tilt is not a bad idea.
All of these things apply to any top end freshening.
The rebore is probably cheaper than the 750 kit. But Mike's 750 kit does have the bigger fins to help it run a bit cooler.
I run Mike's 750 kit in my 75. I use the stock cam. It runs great. A different cam can get more power out of it.
Leo

Xsleo to the rescue yet again, thanks a ton I appreciate it. So I actually have a place that is going to be doing a valve job for me, and that is going to be doing the oversize bore. But all this plus my new pistons, rings, and gaskets is going to cost me about 500 big ones, when the big bore kit is only going for 699 at mikes xs. If I don't have to get much more for the big bore kit I'm thinking to just do that sense most people say it is definitely worth the bump up. especially since id only be spending a few hundred more on it. Worth it? should I do it??

Also I've heard of lapping the valves before, but not sure what it is, have a page to refer me to anyone?

Back