Cam chain has no visible master link.

system9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cam chain guide is broken, the plastic has separated from the metal and is making some noise, so I have the engine apart.
I've seen tutorials that when the pistons are at TDC, the cam chain master link is, or should be at the top of the cam gear. My chain does not seem to have any kind of link that looks different from the other links at the top of the gear. Is this normal?
The chain I am installing has a master link that you rivet the pins on, so wouldn't my new chain also not have a visually obvious master link once installed?
Also, why is it important to have the master link line up with the top notch on the cam shaft gear?
Thanks.

Well, as for your last questions n, it would be difficult to rivet the link in a different place. It is just happens to be the spot most chains were linked up after the motor was braught to tdc

If you are looking for a master link like on the rear driver chain stop looking. Look for one link that has a slot cut on each of the pins. keep spinning and look on both sides.
Thank is factory Yamaha crimper.. or if it has been changed someone may have put an endless chain on it.. probably the 1st

Update: I did finally find the master link. It is the original DID cam chain. The master link was about 10 links away from TDC. I just thought Yamaha assembled them with the master link at TDC.

Got it. For some reason I assumed it would end up there every time if it was set to TDC. I never counted the teeth in the sprocket, or how many links were in the chain.
So it doesn't really matter where the old master link is when you remove the chain, just as long as everything is set to TDC when you put the new one on?

Exactly. The master link will be on top or nearly on top when you assemble it but won't stay that way after many engine revolutions. I mate my new chain anywhere within probably the top 1/3 of the cam sprocket. The timing notch on the cam is pointing straight up but the chain doesn't have to mate directly above it. Once I slip the master link in, I rotate the motor a little to place it right on top to ease the riveting process.

Back