Cam chain tensioner

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I recently finished up a top end rebuild (pistons, valve guides, valves and new cam chain). Aside from a charging issue the bike runs good but after 50 miles I decided to do another valve adjustment.

I noticed the pin in the cam chain tensioner seems to come out pretty far but then it also goes in about that far. Is this something I need to address? For the most part it is even with the bolt. The valves aside from 1 still seemed in spec and the 1 wasn't that far off.

full

Usually, the plunger doesn't come out that far. It's not physically possible because the pin isn't long enough, if all the parts on the assembly are correct and present. Do you have the copper or rubber/metal damper washer in place on the plunger? If not, then it could come out past the end of the screw like that. I mentioned the 2 different types of damper washer. They differ in thickness .....

AAQ6x3C.jpg

The one you need to make the plunger flush will depend on the adjuster screw length you have .....

S0vG0p1.jpg

Oh, and I should mention adjuster screw length means the total length including the hex head .....

Nip8W9y.jpg

I don't know what happens to them but it seems many discover they're missing. If it is missing, another sign is increased topend noise, ticking like a loose valve.

Back