Cam gear mark

First thing, make sure the camshaft has the threaded end on the right side of the engine. Don't put it in backwards as some lads have done before.Engine at TDC, looking at the left side, the camshaft has an index mark that is straight up about 12:00 position. Looking at the right side, the camshaft gear, there is a punch mark that should be exactly even with the top surface of the head.
IMG_5633.jpg

I don't think most of us even look at or go by that dot. We use the slot on the left side of the sprocket .....

CamNotch.jpg

Got it! I work on alot of vehicles in my shop. So that's why the dot on the sprocket got me. Same thing as timing marks on a car or truck. Thanks guys

I think some lads are not good at judging where exactly the 12:00 position is. But you don't have to be good at that. If you use both the 12:00 index mark and the punch mark even with the head surface, its a no brainer, it will be timed 100%.

Got her back together and ride her around the block a couple times today. But it sounds like my left side of motor is not firing all the time like it should. Only at low idle I can hear it start firing. And giving it alot of throttle riding it kicks in and almost snatch you off the bike. What do y'all think is cause that ??

Got her back together and ride her around the block a couple times today. But it sounds like my left side of motor is not firing all the time like it should. Only at low idle I can hear it start firing. And giving it alot of throttle riding it kicks in and almost snatch you off the bike. What do y'all think is cause that ??
The dot it the main mark.. just transfer that mark to the other side so you can see it on the left... you can be a tooth off one way or the other using just the slot especially when using a after market cam.

I used both references, they both were in the right locations. The motor was doing this before the tear down of top end.

In rare instances it can be ignition but most times it's dirty carb on the misfiring side. The idle circuit is the problem. That's why it kicks in once you get above idle.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is what will help get your carb clean.
Leo

Gotcha , I'll definitely follow up with that. I'll let u guys know what I find. Thanks so much for yalls help.

Back