cam timing - is this correct?

trance

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I'm installing the cam and cam chain.

engine is exactly at TDC

chain is on the cam, cam is in the head, bearings are on the cam.

chain tensioner is installed.

Cam chain mark is ALMOST exactly straight up. It's at 11:57 when I look at it from the left side of the motor.

It looks to me if I move it one tooth towards vertical, it would be even worse, maybe 12:05 instead.

Am I right or should I adjust it? want to get it right before I button it up!

dang it, keep answering my own questions today.

it's dead on. checked it with the string method.

thanks brian. i've been looking at that link. it was just tough to tell if "straight up" was the same as "2 degrees off straight up"

dang it, keep answering my own questions today.

it's dead on. checked it with the string method.

thanks brian. i've been looking at that link. it was just tough to tell if "straight up" was the same as "2 degrees off straight up"

There are 2 indexing marks. The one you mentioned on the left side of the camshaft, which should be at 12:00. You also should have a punch mark on the right side of the camshaft gear, which should be exactly even with the top surface of the head.

You need to use the two marks as retiredgentleman says, you can never tell by looking at the top mark, it's too easy to get it wrong by a tooth, I've thought I'd had it spot on a few times only to look at the other side ( as the punch mark is quite often on the other side of the cam wheel to the groove ) to find it one tooth out.

thanks guys, I did double check with the punch mark and think I'm dead on. I used a feeler gauge to check and the bottom of the punch mark was aligned with the feeler gauge, punch mark pointing towards the rear. I can't find it right now, but did see a picture on the forum that showed my exact alignment as correct. fingers crossed.

It's at 11:57
Try this sometime. Put the crank at TDC so your cam sprocket mark is at your questionable vertical. Rest your finger on one of the sprocket teeth and keeping your finger still, rotate the crank so your finger is on the next tooth. Is the mark worse or better? Then go back to TDC and do the same thing turning the crank in the other direction. Is the mark worse or better now? It it's best at TDC, then it's as good as it's going to get! This works because you would change it by jumping a tooth. Also, you can slide the bearings off the ends of the camshaft and it's very easy to change the chain position on it. You might have to clean the ends of the shaft with a Scotch Brite pad and oil to slip the bearings off.

Back