Can a Dyna 2000 (by Dynatek) programmable ignition be retro'd to the XS650?

Jeeter

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a Dynatek 2000 digital ignition that's actually part of a Dynatek kit for the first generation Honda Magna V65s (the undisputed torque monster of the 1980s).

The 2000 box is programmable, meaning it can be made to perform any curve and advance by programming it in a PC (via USB), and then assigining several retard curves and rev limits to little knobs on the side. It can essentially be prgrammed for nearly any set of curves, advances, retards. They can be set up as presets as well.

The pickups for the Magna are unusable with the XS. So it would require pulse coils or pickups or senders. Dynatek may offer these for the XS, I'm not sure.

So that's all I have on it. What I was wondering was if anyone had already retrofited one of these to the XS and what level of black mojo was involved.

I did quite a lot of searching on this subject within the forum and all I found was data on the old Dyna III.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• dyna1.jpg
    dyna1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 220
  • dyna2.jpg
    dyna2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 206
  • dyna3.jpg
    dyna3.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 187
  • dyna4.jpg
    dyna4.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 173
Never fooled with those. What sensor inputs feed that Dynatek 2000?
Well, the Dyna 2000 is like their basic digital unit. So it seems that it can be triggered a number of ways. The Honda Magna uses the basic lost spark (aka wasted spark) setup. The weird thing about the Magna kit is that it comes with a special "translator box" that changes the pulse generator signal from the engine to something that the Dyna 2000 can understand. But I believe the 2000 is actually the same unit that is used with Harleys, I4s, V4s, Vert-twins, and so on.

I didn't know if anyone had worked out triggering with this Dyna unit and the XS650. I think I'll try Dynatek again to see if I can get more dope on this. I have this Dynatek gadget (the entire V65 kit actually) and I was hoping to find out if I could use it with the XS. I know the adaptor gadget is specifically for the first generation of Honda V4s, but the Dyna 2000 itself is more of a ~fits many~ thing.

Let me see what I can find out from Dynatek, if anything. I've worked with them extensively in the past when working out how to retrofit the V65 kit to the V45 engine, which was my actual intention for buying that kit in the first place. The Dyna 2000 turned out to be so versatile that making it all work with the smaller V45 (rather than the V65 which is what it was designed for). I got a lot of help from them on that little project. They even made me a special harness to assist in the retrofit testing, which included all of the required pins and the Molex connector to make my own PC adaptor. Good fellas!

:)

Don't get your panties bunched up if you get corrected. You made the claim, not me. The highest torque rating I ever saw on a stock V65 was a tad under 70 ft lbs. That's a far cry from the 82-83 put out by the V Max, and far short of the GS1150 as well. The same guy who ran a V65 into the 10's did it considerably quicker on the GS1150 and V Max both. It is OK, however, that your V65 wasn't the baddest bike on the planet, it was still plenty fast.

You would need a crank trigger like the newer Harleys. Way too much to make it work. I have seen older MSD units work on twin motors. Afterhour bikes use them all the time on there rat bikes.

Thanks, I saw that thread earlier when I was going through some of the "TECH" section (in fact, that thread is what got me thinking about using that 2000). What prompted me to start this thread was the date on that thread you've linked (2009). I didn't know if someone had more recently cracked the code.

BAH! Ok, well I was just trying to avoid having to sell it on eBay. I'll look into the more "accepted" ignition systems for the XS650, I think that's prudent. I mean retrofitting stuff like this Dyna 2000 can be cool and fun and all of that, but I've done so much of that "cool and fun" stuff that all I'm looking for these days is what works, y'know?

Ok, so that Dyna 2000 is one bad idea off of the table that I don't need to wrestle with then!

Thanks for the help fellas.

Don't get your panties bunched up if you get corrected. You made the claim, not me. The highest torque rating I ever saw on a stock V65 was a tad under 70 ft lbs. That's a far cry from the 82-83 put out by the V Max, and far short of the GS1150 as well. The same guy who ran a V65 into the 10's did it considerably quicker on the GS1150 and V Max both. It is OK, however, that your V65 wasn't the baddest bike on the planet, it was still plenty fast.

OK, I'll bite. (Normally I don't respond to trolling though)

1.) I've never owned a V65. So "my" V65 wasn't the "baddest bike on the planet" because I never had one.

2.) Have you ever ridden a V65 Magna? Nearly every single write up on it had the same thing to say, it has an undefinable power delivery that escapes description. The dynos don't show it, the drag strips don't prove it. But that kick in the ass of your undies certainly lets you know it's there! Ride one. Then comment.

3.) I was poking fun at how people say these "things" like how the V65 was the undisputed king of torque in the 80s. A quote.

4.) Finally, I was making fun of how serious you took a silly comment about the V65.

The V65 comment was a joke, a loose shot at how us bikers talk about certain bikes we love and hold dear. Just the same way I speak of my first Harley, it was the "most fun motorcycle I've ever owned". It's just an endearment.

5.) Oh, and lastly, I don't wear panties, I go commando! So I think the more appropriate dismissal towards me would have been "Don't get your nuts in a rumble over this...". Try that, it might be a more fitting insult.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(lighten up man, it was just silly remark making fun of how much we love and hold-on-high whichever motorcycle we decide to love.)

Back