Can I install My PMA Without a Torch Wrench?

While it is recommended to use a torque wrench, you could probably get by without one given the lock washer + loctite + not cranking down on it like a caveman. Not many ft/lbs are required for that nut.

Hi Uglies,
you don't mean a gas-axe, eh? Negatory hot wrench on that job for sure.
Lacking a torque wrench, bear down on it with a 3/8" square drive ratchet wrench just hard enough that you grunt. Bearing down until you break wind is too much.

Hi Uglies,
Lacking a torque wrench, bear down on it with a 3/8" square drive ratchet wrench just hard enough that you grunt. Bearing down until you break wind is too much.

Hmmmmm. I heard that with the PMA mod, it needed to be torqued until your left eye pooched out just a bit...:laugh:

Torque should be 25-28 FT LBS with the lock washer and blue loctite. The flywheel gets held pretty firmly in place by the tapering.

A Foot Pound is like putting 1 pound on the end of a foot long breaker bar. Measure out about 1 foot on a breaker bar and mark it. put the socket on the breaker bar and put it on the nut. Hang a 5 gallon bucket at the mark.
Fill the bucket with 25-28 lbs. of something, water weighs 1 lb. per pint. Add 25-28 pints of water to the bucket.
This gives you 25-28 ft./lbs. of torque.
Leo

A Foot Pound is like putting 1 pound on the end of a foot long breaker bar. Measure out about 1 foot on a breaker bar and mark it. put the socket on the breaker bar and put it on the nut. Hang a 5 gallon bucket at the mark.
Fill the bucket with 25-28 lbs. of something, water weighs 1 lb. per pint. Add 25-28 pints of water to the bucket.
This gives you 25-28 ft./lbs. of torque.
Leo

Repeat as necessary for each nut and bolt on your machine until you're convinced that a $20 bill at harbor freight is a sound investment. You don't need a tractor to plow your field but if a tractor is available and you don't use it you are an idiot. Apologies to my Amish friends.

Hi Uglies,

A good rule of thumb- just hard enough to make you grunt but not hard enough to make you fart. :D:thumbsup:

Yea and the scale would be............If your.........

100lbs 3 farts

150 lbs 2 farts,

200 lbs 2 grunts,

250 lbs...........lose some weight

Yea and the scale would be............If your.........

100lbs 3 farts

150 lbs 2 farts,

200 lbs 2 grunts,

250 lbs...........lose some weight

Hi Skull,
thanks for posting the fart scale, although I should mention that because one's sphincter muscle weakens with age, the scale isn't constant.
Which perhaps explains why my nuts ain't as tight as they used to be.
And nj1639, that puny 8lb gallon is only used in the USA.
An Imperial gallon weighs 10 lbs and it's eight pints have 20 oz's in 'em.

Funny stuff! It's like measuring with c$&t hairs. These old school guys have told me this a few times. Exactly how thick is a chicks hair? I've never been with a woman with hair downstairs so when someone tells me a c$&t hair, I'm lost. Lol

Funny stuff! It's like measuring with c$&t hairs. These old school guys have told me this a few times. Exactly how thick is a chicks hair? I've never been with a woman with hair downstairs so when someone tells me a c$&t hair, I'm lost. Lol

Hi JR,
no hair only, eh? Hopefully you ain't a child molester, perhaps you are overcivilized?
Anyway, a cunthair is not a precise measurement, blonde hair is thinner than dark hair and even hair of the same colour varies in thickness between individuals.
Your best approximation is to measure the thickness of one of your own facial hairs.
If it were to be morphed into a standard measurement I'd say A Standard Unified Cunthair would be 0.002" or possibly 0.05mm.
Measured at 98.4º F, of course.

Last edited:
I would say that a cunthair would be the smallest adjustment that could be made with the type of material and rough tools at hand. So... "Ay, Jim-bo, knock a cunthair off at 2by" would be about a bit shy of an 1/8" (dependant upon their understanding of the current state of that ol skil saw) when Jim-bo takes his ol skil saw and grazes the end and Bubba will see if it fits when handed back to him standing atop a cooler on top a ladder. Or if you need to "tighten er up a cunthair" it would be the first progressively harder tap on yer tool that gets it to move, of course you could go to far in which case ya may need to "loosen er back up a cunthair", or in Bubba's case when Jim-bo fooks it up stick a bit a Marlboro packet in there. No science involved, that would go against the concept of a quick cunthair adjustment :D

Back