Can someone ID this shock ?

mm1ut1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Aftermarket shock on a XS 1100. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B281985B-1366-4D6E-9EDA-8733842AA9C8.jpeg
    B281985B-1366-4D6E-9EDA-8733842AA9C8.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 106
That's a YSS gas shock. The black cogged disc at the bottom of the shock adjusts damping. Don't tamper with the valve, it takes nitrogen, not air, and professional equipment is needed to set the pressure correctly. If you suspect the that PO may have fooled with the shocks, you might get help from Traxxion Dynamics in Georgia. They're motorcycle suspension professionals who take top honors for value received, quality of knowledge and work, and impeccable ethics.

Last edited:
Z-366 RZ-366 RZ-366 TRL Twin — Gas Shock Absorber

Price: $659.00 per Pair
Available Lengths: 280 mm, 300 mm, 310 mm, 320 mm, 330 mm, 340 mm, 350 mm, 360 mm,370 mm, 380 mm, 395 mm, 420 mm
Type: Self Adjusting Gas Emulsion Shock
Features: Pre-Load Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment 60 Clicks — 36 mm 50 Micron Steel Bore and Radial Sinter Piston — 16 mm Hardened Shaft — Low Friction, Long Life Seal Block — Bearing and Bushes to suit each Model — Damping and Springrates Model specific — (Included: Ride Height Adjuster (Length Adjuster +10 mm)
Application: RACING ON and OFFROAD — for SOLO, SIDECARS, QUADS, CARS, STREET BIKES

Uh, if that's what ya wanta call the preload adjustment, sure, Mr. G. The shock has adjustment only for rebound damping, compression damping is fixed. (I know you're pullin' my leg, but you're not gonna pull it off!)

Uh, if that's what ya wanta call the preload adjustment, sure, Mr. G. The shock has only rebound damping, compression damping is fixed. (I know you're pullin' my leg, but you're not gonna pull it off!)
1643150710911.jpeg

;)
That looks like a nice pair of shocks but if they were spec'd for the XS1100 they got some Heavy springs on em...

View attachment 206214

;)
That looks like a nice pair of shocks but if they were spec'd for the XS1100 they got some Heavy springs on em...
The Eleven Special weighs close to 600 lbs wet. I put Progressive Suspension on mine and I took the "heavy duty" option. They weren't heavy duty enough. I sourced the correct springs from 650 Central.
Matt Wiley of RaceTech recommended YSS to me when I told him I wasn't putting $1500 shocks on a $1500 motorcycle. That's about as good as it gets.
@gggGary, I suspect that's the drain. What else could it be?

Gary, that fastener probably covers the filler port for the gas. Usually you'd find a Schrade valve there, as on the YSS mono shock I used on a long gone GS500 Zook; not sure what the drill is on this model, but one thing is for sure: unless you're a pro, it's best to leave that thing alone!

Last edited:
I have never noticed any problems with the rear stock shocks on XS650 I like them
So even if i had the money for the upgrading I cannot se the reason for it
Aggressive driving -- it is the front that starts wobbling. And Bouncing

There is talk of Öhlins / Ohlins Which have a god reputation for what they can do and are used for racing those are also expensive
I have the impression that they need service and are not as the stock ones install and forget.

BTW when YSS describes the shock as "self adjusting" they mean that damping is designed to respond to the size and profile of bumps. For the record, I wasn't much impressed with the YSS shock that I was sent; it wasn't much of an improvement over the low mileage OE shock. Other riders' experience with other bikes and other YSS shocks will differ.

Jan, Paul Thede, the inventor of the cartridge emulator valve, has a saying that you may want to internalize: "The best you've ridden is the best you know." If you haven't ridden an XS650 with a premium suspension system set up for your approximate weight, you won't have any idea what the XS650 is capable of. Yep, Ohlins is a fine shock. I found one on sale back in 2004 and installed it on my 2003 SV650 Suzuki, behind a pair of Race Tech emulators and springs in the forks. It was worth every penny, and easier to dial in than you might think. On my XS650 I've used a number of aftermarket shocks behind Race Tech emulators and springs. First was a pair of Progressive Series 12 gas shocks, which gave a big improvement over the OE units. Next was a pair of Koni oil damped shocks--big improvement over Progressive gas shocks. Next came a splurge: a pair of custom alloy body Works Performance gas shocks. I've ridden on those for 16 years and found no reason to change.

Right, there's no point installing performance components in any system of a bike, engine or suspension, unless you're willing to tune it and, for the first time tuner, to learn as you go. That's not everybody's idea of fun, and I've known a few guys who could jump on a bike with clapped out OE suspension and leave me eating dust on my best day!

I have Ikon 7610s that seem a tad stiff, even for my svelt 210 lbs. Please remember that the suspension you need for very rapid canyon carving is entirely different from the suspension you want for your commute or leisurely weekend ride. I had an XJ650RJ that I set up beautifully for the canyons but was a bit harsh for freeway commuting. Following that XJ650RJ I had a Honda CB1, naked 400cc liquid cooled naked sportbike. It's suspension was surprisingly supple and amazingly capable at 9/10s. Since I gave up going 10/10ths I loved that bike.

Last edited:
Back