Can you do away with the light checker?

scharny61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you do away with the light checker? Have a 80 Oceania model and I'm using a 79 sf wiring loom. My bike didn't have a light checker that I can find so the loom I have has a plug for one.
Did the 79' have 2 condensers? The wiring diagram shows 2. If nothing gets plugged into the plug, does it leave an open circuit?:confused:

Yes, you can eliminate the light checker. You may have to connect the blue and blue/yellow wires on the harness plug together to make the headlight work.

'79 has one condenser with two leads, one plugged into each coil. You need a condenser connected to each coil (assuming you have a stock points ignition) to reduce points arcing and burning.

The bike uses one condenser "unit" which is actually 2 separate condensers mounted together on the same bracket. It looks like only one at first glance because they're tight up against one another end to end.

The bike uses one condenser "unit" which is actually 2 separate condensers mounted together on the same bracket. It looks like only one at first glance because they're tight up against one another end to end.

Ahh, thanks for that. Is there a coil/points/condenser wiring diagram available that I can look at? Didn't take any useful photos of the setup before I dismantled it.
cheers:yikes:

Back