Carb Identification

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,
Can someone help me identify which carb I actually have. I bought some new carb holders and just now getting around to this part of my build and they don't seem to match stock. I have a 1977 XS650, but these carbs must be something different.

Thanks,
Brent

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpg
    IMG_3864.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 158
Yes, those look to be later model BS34s, at least '81, maybe newer. '80 BS34s had a drain bolt on the float bowl, just like the BS38s, and were not black.

'82-'83 34's. To use them as designed you will need the left switch box that has the thumb adjuster and the choke cable.
Turn them over and take a picture of the choke rod to be sure,

Here are some more pics. Man, there is a ton of rust on the butterfly center pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpg
    IMG_3869.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3870.jpg
    IMG_3870.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3871.jpg
    IMG_3871.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 242
Hi xlr8tn,
I'm with WER, those carbs look just like the carbs on my '84 Heritage Special.
What I don't see is the choke cable attachment that should be atop the righthand carb.
That and the bent out of shape carb adjuster and choke pull arm lead me to believe that those carbs have been seriously PO'd.
And yes you'll need the (presumably hard to find) leftside switchblock that has the inbuilt choke control lever in order to work the choke cable that you can't buy anywhere but you can DIY out of a bicycle derailleur cable.
Mind you, that Yamaha choke lever is a flimsy plastic thing. Mine broke the week after the bike's warranty ran out.
The nice chrome plated "tweaker" off a Royal Enfield has worked perfectly ever since.

+3 factory black carbs were 82 on BS34's, The chock can be converted to the pull with some dimpling of the rod and fashioning a knob. The throttle shaft synch plates look bent some screws butched into the choke levers, those aren't good signs. Always replace float valve o-rings on BS34s

If you bought 77 carb holders they are for the BS38 carbs. They won't work with those BS34 carbs. You need to get holders for BS34 carbs.
Leo

You guys think these are salvageable or should I be looking for something else. I found a set of BS38 that were stock, but from what I've read, the BS34's would work better.

I like BS34's but those rusty throttle shafts bother me. Not much to lose, tear em down and see if the shafts are still a decent fit in the carb body bushings.

Back