carb rubber paper gasket

The rule is use compound on the side(s) that's not a machined surface. I've taken a liking to Motoseal 1. It's probably a better substitute for the Yamabond you read about here. Keep a can of spray stripper handy so you don't gouge when it's time to remove.

I can't see what you have there, but I probably would. I would use the "glue" I suggested which is a flexible sealer and isn't very adhesive. The carb holder isn't something you'll have to take off for another twenty years so why not. I might use a thin coat on the head side too just to make sure there's no leaks. It won't hurt anything.

Yes, not to the engine. You want the gasket to come off with the boot any time you remove it, not stay stuck on the head. The manifold gasket (if it's the proper one) is quite thick, like a good 1/8" or so. The sealer isn't so much to seal it, it usually seals fine on it's own. It's so the gasket comes off with the manifold. Being that that is the reason for applying it, I don't coat the whole thing, just a thin (maybe 1/8" wide) bead around the gasket, a ring or circle of sealer.

(maybe 1/8" wide) bead around the gasket.

That's a good idea to insure sealing.

If the gasket is that thick, then yeah I wouldn't worry much about it not sealing on its own. When you said rubber paper I was thinking of the much thinner Felpro stuff I've been using lately.

Back