carb slide isnt moving with throttle pull

81 xs650 hs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Back Ground:
81 xs650 HS new top end bike rebuild. First time fire up having issues, did the normal motor freshen up, new top end, carb rebuild, ect.

8000 miles on the bike, bike stat for years

carbs are mikuni 34 cv

So My issue is the bike isnt getting fuel into the cylinders, timing is correct, carbs are spick and span, electrical is working great. But when I pull the throttle the carb slides dont move. I have taken the top side of the carb apart and the boot is good and sealed, if I move the slide up with my hand the boot seals and acts as its suppose too. the spring is in good condition. the slides arnt moving at all at anytime so im not getting any gas pulled into the cylinders and my plugs are dry. So What may be a problem? I am just running out of ideas and ways to solve them, if I use starter fluid the bike fires up on first kick.

any help or suggestions is appreciated
:bike:

Last edited:
Grinder has it, the slides don't rise unless the engine is running. Check the slides by raising them then covering the small oval shaped port at the top of the intake bell with your thumb. The slides should fall VERY slowly with your thumb on the port then fall evenly not drop when you release it. I would go and look at the tiny enricher circuit jet found in the front of the float bowl. Often clogged, spray carb cleaner from one side then the the other usually clears it.

floats are full and all jets and passage ways are clear, this has been tripple checked. I am just not getting gas from my float bowl to the cylinder, would it have to do with the choke ?

I under stand they are vacuum and not directly connected to the throttle, though shouldnt they move with the throttle well running? (which they done either)

so the slides move up and down well so I feel I am not getting a solid vacuum effect, anything I should double check for the vacuum, all the passage ways inside the carb are clear and free.

Well not being smart ass but something just isn't right in those carbs. Is the choke cable hooked up and pulling the enrichers open all the way? Do you have the rubber caps on the idle jets? (just in front of the main jets) Do you have the vacuum barbs capped off on the spigots? If you're using a vacuum petcock is the diaphragm good? Are you using the prime position on the petcock? Post a picture?

Don't feel rude or like a smart ass something def wrong and I'm open to check and test any ideas.
Just now I went throughout the carbs again( done many times at this point)
If I blow in the intake the slides move great, the choke tubes in the float bowls are clear, the rubber cap is on the jet that's next to the main, the breathers on both rubber intake mounts are capped off, using a non vacuum petcock. With the tops off the carbs and move the choke the passage opens and is clear. I just don't feel as any gas is getting to the top of the cabs, but the come pick up is clear.

so gas is just not getting out of the float bowl at all. jet are clear, you can see through them you can blow cleaner through them,ect, im at the point of fustration.

everything else is perfect. a squirt of starter fluid and the bike fires right up, I need to figure this fuel issue out

81 xs650 hs,

I guess I'm a little confused. :shrug:

You say that you are not getting any fuel, but you are able to check the slides with the engine running? :wtf:

And you checked the timing even though you are not getting fuel? :wtf:

If you have the stock TCI ignition, then the only way to check the timing is with a timing light and the engine running.:banghead:

You may think you got the carbs clean but you probably haven't yet. There is a choke feed jet near the bottom of a bored passageway along the front lip of the float bowl. If this jet is plugged, the choke will not work .....

ChokeJet.jpg

The jet is pressed in so you'll need to poke or blow it clear, maybe both. Hold the bowl up to a good light source so light can shine in the fuel intake hole and peer down that bored hole on the lip. If clear, the jet will light up.

Remove the pilot jet and mix screw (along with it's spring, washer, and o-ring). Squirt carb cleaner in the pilot jet hole then block the mix screw hole with your finger and blow the carb cleaner through with compressed air. It should exit out the 4 tiny holes in the main bore around the butterfly plate .....

OutletHoles.jpg

Squirt carb cleaner in the mix screw hole. Block the pilot jet hole with your finger and blow the cleaner through with compressed air. It should exit out the small hole directly below the screw hole. Now add more carb cleaner and this time block the 4 tiny holes in the main bore with your finger. Blow the cleaner through and it should come out the pilot jet hole.

Have you put clear tubes on the drain fittings and checked float levels? The gas should raise to about the float bowl top / carb bottom. Did you set floats? These should have the foam floats with a static, spring not compressed, height of 22mm Did you use one of the carb overhaul guides found in the tech section? those are very good.
You said the choke "tubes" are clear, does that that include the float bowl passage?

Not sure what it was but we got it running and sounding great, still slightly confussed but happy it runs

Back