Cdi and kickstarter

Vulture666

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the xs and newer bikes in general and have never had a bike with the Cdi, does the bike need the Cdi to run or can I just use the kickstarter in a more simplified wiring. I'm sure you need the Cdi for the electronic ignition but I just want to make sure. I've also never had a bike with electronic ignition:confused:

These bikes actually have a TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition), not a CDI (Captive Discharge Ignition).
And yes, you must have the TCI to run. It's the ignition. The kickstarter just turns the engine over.
You also need a good, fully charged battery to run the bike and the charging system needs to be in good order.
Unless you want to make the switch to a PMA (Perminent Magnet Alternator), then you'll have to have a good battery.

You can, however, put points on it if you wanted or get a Pamco, which is an amazing unit. There are several other electronic ignitions you can buy too. The TCI works great, but can possibly go up due to age. There are ways to fix it, but I, for instance, have a Pamco waiting just incase.
NOTE: DO NOT remove a spark plug cap while the bike is running, as you can with a points ignition. You will fry the TCI.

Back