Checking in from Northern Virginia

The locks should all match and use the same key if they are the originals to the bike. That means you might only need one key made (and a copy for a spare of course). But still, $50-$65 sure seems like a lot for that. Even though a $12 key may seem expensive, it's cheap by comparison, lol. And really, it's not that expensive, Yamaha charges near $12 for just an uncut blank today.

Well, if you can't find the key code number then I guess you are kinda stuck. The replacement set from Gary is looking better and better. There were 6 different blank styles used on these. Actually, they are 3 mirror image pairs. The difference in the pairs is in the grooving down the sides. The difference between each blank in a pair is in the way it offsets .....

VQvfXxv.jpg

As always with a used iggy lock, it should be stripped down lubed and the contacts cleaned.

What I tend to do with a mismatched set is take the tumblers out of the gas cap and seat lock so they work with any old key with the right blank shape.

I hope you're saving all those little parts you pull out, lol. Having spare sliding plates, or "wafers" as they're called, is what makes re-keying these locks possible, or at least easier than having to file the existing ones. I've "liberated" practically all the junk locks from the Yamahas in my dealer's boneyard for this very purpose. Now that I've finally figured out the fork lock removal technique, I plan to have a go at getting them too, lol

Plastic peanut butter jars with caps holding "little parts" in every segregated "parts bin"
The dog helps out by cleaning the jars. Should get a pet anteater.........

Don't let this fool you, it's a jungle out there.

Last edited:
I like how you flipped the 'YAMAHA' cap when you flipped the parts over in the picture! :laugh:
....and dogs are much more obedient than anteaters...

Was wondering if that would draw a comment! Deal reached, new seal installed on cap, parts ready to ship.
You can stretch and install the seal without taking the cap apart, it's kinda tricky/hard to do, liberal use of sil-glyde helped.

Back