Chinese cafe racer.

I will take this opportunity to say I wish Honda or Yamaha had a TRUE modern classic.
Honda, bring back a modern CB250 or CB125 and get rid of the Grom
I agree with some of what you're saying. True small displacement street bikes have their place still. Honda is offering the CT125 Trail step through, which is as retro as it gets and to be honest as a woods plonker it's a great bike. I was sorry to see them trying to push a 350 single as the new CB 350 when the other brands are offing twins in that displacement category.
As for Grom's, they've sold bazillions of them, enough that the competition have offered their own clones. They appeal to the Millenial crowd. Personally I think it would be great to have a Grom racing league with dirt track and road course series.
It would be nice to see a reissue CB 125 though

Ignore the engine size and where its made, I think the Chinese have stumbled on something that epitomises the cafe racer looks.
Nice lines... correct period look... wonder what it cost ? I got a video of a group of Chinese police motorcycles. ... somewhere. If I can find it... I'll post it.... 😎

This thread reminds me of some commentary I read some years ago now, about the emerging Chinese motorcycle industry. The article likened it to the Japanese motorcycles invasion of the late 50s and early 60s and we know how far that has come. It will be interesting to see the development of the Chinese offerings going forward. They are already producing some high quality off-road rally bikes and others I'm sure.

British engine cases will always be the most lovely. Except the BSA power egg.

1708795573339.png

1708795767032.png

1708795632289.png

Nay ! I think the BSA “ egg “ is a good design…. Balanced visually… clean lines…. The Triumph 650 units are the classic style others are judged against…. The Xs 650 engine has great visual… proportioned well…. Until they add the Mikes big bore cylinders 😎

I like that Chinese cafe racer but it would look much better with a bit more engine in there to occupy some of the empty space.

Back