choke wont stay open

fasterhorses

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got set of 80 carbs clean from the bay, i knew they would be off in the jetting, but wanted to start this thing up. Tried to pull choke out to start kicking and it slides back in. The choke on my other carbs snaps to an open position and stays there till I push it in. what is going on oh wise ones....1 step forward, stubble back,1 step forward.....

Mine has a small indentions on the shaft and a ball bearing and spring in the shaft housing that clicks it in place....maybe yours is missing the ball and/or spring from a previous rebuild. Take it apart and you'll find the problem (mines an '81...I think should be the same)

My little spring is broken and if I don't pull it out easy it just kicks back in.

+1 chopitdropit.
The springs and balls are available from a dealer.
One side will work but both are better.

Cable choke on Heritage models only 82 83 for sure.
The ball is 1/8" ball bearing available at any bicycle shop shouldn't be too hard to find a spring. Both carbs have the hole for the ball and spring but only the RH side has the detents in the shaft.

Yes, the spring is available from Yamaha but it costs something like $9. McMaster-Carr.

you guys are so good, I can pull off them off my old carbs, and I know exactly what we are talking about now. You saved me at least a few hours and a lot of beard scratching. Be bugging you tomorrow after I fix this and have more questions

I have successfully wound a replacement spring. I used stainless steel safety wire wrapped around the shank of a small drill bit clamped in a vice. I wrapped it tight and longer than needed. Stretched it to make it a spring and trimmed the ends to length with a Dremmel cut off wheel. Not exactly like a stock spring but it worked.

I have a cable operated choke set of BS34's. I'm gonna change the shaft the operates the choke with a longer rod and dimple the rod to match the spring holes and put in some springs and balls. I will ad more than one dimple for the ball to set in, maybe four. That way I will have just more than full and half choke. 1/4 choke increments will be nice.
The BS38's I'm using have just full on or off.

Back