Chrysler Regulator

Ok got everything to go but need help on which wire from reg. goes where. I got a pigtail,the green wire closest to the outside of reg and a blue toward the center. in this pic its a green (same as mine and the blue is brown) which goes to the battery?:banghead:

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 143
The brown wire goes to the ignition switch, not the battery directly. You have to be able to turn the regulator off with the ignition switch.

:shrug: This is what I was thinking on setup. got a pigtail for 75 dodge dart reg that cost 8 bucks... total cost with wire , tabs , heat srink ect. $31.00

Attachments

• wiring with homemade rec.jpg
    wiring with homemade rec.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 215
Fatman,

The Chrysler regulator provides a regulated ground on the green wire, so the other brush has to have +12 instead of ground, as shown in that diagram. That is the purpose of the nylon screws. To isolate the normally grounded brush so you can connect it to +12.

ok, I'm lost.got the nylon screws part. Which wire goes to +12V

The black wire that is going to ground in the diagram has to go to switched battery (brown wire)

The brush is grounded to the stator case but also goes to ground in the wiring harness. The nylon screws are used to isolate the brush but you also have to cut the black wire before it goes to ground in the wiring harness and run it to the brown wire instead.

Alternatively, you can just disconnect the black wire and run a separate wire directly from the brush to the brown wire.

as in ?? the pink wire? how will that reg voltage? Thanks for all the help. Don't tell anyone, as a A&P i should know this stuff LOL :banghead:

Attachments

• wiring with homemade rec pink.jpg
    wiring with homemade rec pink.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 146
I know the reg shuts off and turns on (lets it pass or not) power from the rectifier. maybe my wires are crossed in my head.....//

fatman,

Yes. That's correct. The regulator works by turning a ground on and off rapidly to average the current through the rotor in response to the voltage that it "sees" on the brown wire. In order for current to flow, you have to have battery on the other brush.

The stock regulator does the same thing by providing +12 on and off rapidly, so the other brush is grounded in a stock system.

When I had my airplane, I had an agreement with the A&P that I would fix the electrical problems and he would sign off on it if I told him what I did to fix the problem. It's not you, it's just that A&P's are not taught enough about things electrical.

The whole thing starts with the design team of engineers for cars, airplanes and motor cycles. They are predominantly mechanical engineers, and they ignore the electrical parts as a nuisance until they finish the design and realize that it wont run without some wires attached. So, the electrical part is tacked on to the finished design, and then the electrical engineers are sent back down to their basement offices.

This whole philosophy trickles down to the training of mechanics and A&P's. Electricity isn't really difficult, it's just different in that you cannot see what is going on and you have to rely on theory more than you do with the mechanical parts.

fatman,

Yes. That's correct. The regulator works by turning a ground on and off rapidly to average the current through the rotor in response to the voltage that it "sees" on the brown wire. In order for current to flow, you have to have battery on the other brush.

The stock regulator does the same thing by providing +12 on and off rapidly, so the other brush is grounded in a stock system.

When I had my airplane, I had an agreement with the A&P that I would fix the electrical problems and he would sign off on it if I told him what I did to fix the problem. It's not you, it's just that A&P's are not taught enough about things electrical.

The whole thing starts with the design team of engineers for cars, airplanes and motor cycles. They are predominantly mechanical engineers, and they ignore the electrical parts as a nuisance until they finish the design and realize that it wont run without some wires attached. So, the electrical part is tacked on to the finished design, and then the electrical engineers are sent back down to their basement offices.

This whole philosophy trickles down to the training of mechanics and A&P's. Electricity isn't really difficult, it's just different in that you cannot see what is going on and you have to rely on theory more than you do with the mechanical parts.

Thanks for your help, most the time we just change whats broke with out remembeing what we learned in school, it was about 30 years ago LOL. Do know when the magic blue smoke leaves its going cost big $$$$$$:yikes:
Again Thanks , how to find some pink wire, blue might work also :laugh:

It might be better to make the wires match the stock colors. It might be less confusing later on.
It's always a good idea to not let the smoke out. Impossible to put it back in. It just drifts away on the breeze.

Last edited:
Back