regulator/rectifier

Old bikes: voltmeter where you can see it while riding.
Brilliant
🍻
I keep one on a 3' sae cord, plug it into the battery tender pigtail and check charging in the garage and on the road, one of the early things I do on any new to me bike

eggGary
I know now I to should have did the same on my new to me XS, it made me walk 2nd ride out 20 mile from home? I found out pushing that 500 pound
machine was like pushing a rock. I have bought a little volt meter that I intend on mounting on this Rice Burner, if and when I ever get it charging properly, been a real handful up to this point?

Yes, you can get compact, waterproof voltmeters off eBay for less than $10 .....

SmallVoltmeter2.jpg

SmallVoltmeter3.jpg

On my '78, I managed to fit it right in the dash .....

Installed2.jpg

On my '83, I couldn't so I made a housing that attaches to the top of the steering stem nut .....

Done.jpg

DoneMounted2.jpg

But if need be, you can simply attach it to your handlebars with a couple cable ties .....

SimpleVoltmeterMount.jpg

5twins,
That is what I have bought, yet to install, did you wire it in around the ignition switch area onto the brown wire?
Thanks,
back shift

I added a pigtail to the brown wire coming out of the ignition switch. It's the best spot, before any splits or connections that might cause a voltage loss and lower reading on the meter.

SwitchPlate.jpg

eggGary
I know now I to should have did the same on my new to me XS, it made me walk 2nd ride out 20 mile from home? I found out pushing that 500 pound
machine was like pushing a rock. I have bought a little volt meter that I intend on mounting on this Rice Burner, if and when I ever get it charging properly, been a real handful up to this point?
I always thought 'rice burners' referred to Japanese 2 stroke bikes?

Glad to hear you are now working things out
Ads.

Back