Cigar box banjo

Dieselchanic

Intermittent builder
Reaction score
Met this guy while waiting to load. He was sitting beside his truck whittling on a banjo. When I talked to him about it he hauled this setup out of his truck. The banjo and amp are made from cigar boxes. Pretty cool use of dead waiting time...

I have me a couple of 3 string cigar box guitars that I plink around on, as well as a Michael Kelly flame top. I really enjoy the old delta blues slide guitar. Let me go get a link...... it is way cool how awesome an old cigar box can sound for very little money.

this is a friend of mine, down in Roanoke VA. He builds and plays all sorts of string instruments. Here he's "live looping" a cigar box banjo.

-------------------------

banjo joke.jpg

Fellers, I have just found a new world! - I have guitars, my boy has most of them in his room with his - but what is this? making a banjo or eukele from bits of old wood, gigar boxes. That's me hooked... I just spent the last 30 minutes checking those links.

Where do I start?

Anlaf

Fellers, I have just found a new world! ...making a banjo or eukele from bits of old wood, gigar boxes. ...Where do I start?
Anlaf

Martin still offers some of its guitars in kit form. I think that's a superior new world to the one you're eying.

^ Maybe not. One of the reviews is below. But there are tons of various instrument kits out there. I built an Appalachian dulcimer kit about ten years ago and the cost was less than $100 and it didn't take any special tools. I notice some cig box guit kits for a lot less than that...

"Warning to beginners: you will need an additional investment of 1000.00 + - worth of tool, jigs and finishing equipment to complete the kit correctly, and great woodworking skills.If you just want a guitar to play buy a built one."

Back