Cleaning hi-viz riding gear

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi, Gretel & Big Sue money pits.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dear All:

I was over on the ST Owners forum and someone posted the following method for cleaning their hi-viz riding gear. It seemed like such a good idea that I swiped it and am posting here for the edification of the slower and older riders of the XS650.com forum.

• Hang up to dry - do not put it in the dryer.
  • Came out as good as new, brightened it right up.
Here is another method including a way to protect the armor and ensure that the entire jacket is cleaned by using dishwasher rinse agent to reduce the surface tension caused by the waterproofing:
I do pretty much the same except remove armor and I add dishwasher rinse aid to the water to break surface tension and help the jacket get thoroughly wetted. I also leave the washer lid up so it doesn't progress through to the rinse cycle and then reset the machine to the wash part of cycle a few times, then rinse and air dry in the sun. My Olympia Hi Viz jacket comes out looking like new.

...and to renew the waterproofing, the folks on ST Owners suggest the following:

0013813_water-guard-105-oz_560.jpeg

The waterproof portion of the Olympia AST2 is the liner inside. But by spraying the outside, it keeps the water from soaking in and making it weigh a ton. Plus, it dries quickly. If you go this route, be sure to put something down under the jacket. The overspray will make a garage floor really really slick.
upload_2019-5-8_14-34-31.gif

Fred Meyer sells this stuff in the camping department for about $8 a can. If you are old enough to qualify for their senior discount on the first Tuesday of each month, you can get 10% off.

Here is another way to re-do the waterproofing:

I use Nikwax TX.DIRECT Wash-in waterproofing. No way to miss an area when it is dunked in it.

Last edited:
That sounds good Pete.

My method of washing jackets, has always been , remove all armor, then fill my laundry sink with warm water and laundry soap. Then just let it soak for an hour or so, followed by swishing it around by hand and scrubbing any dirty spots with an old wash cloth.
Then a clear water rinse and lay flat to dry. It’s always worked well for me. :thumbsup:

Back