clutch pushrod seal - lifespan?

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just checking; I replaced my clutch pushrod seal last spring - after one ride it seems like it is probably leaking again (though not much). I have a longer rod to install, but currently still have the original bushing and the smaller rod/ball bearing system. Just curious to know how long people typically get out of the seal before it needs replacing.

Thanks.

Try the long rod first. It flexes less and may cure the small leak. I replaced my seal like 8 or 9 years ago and it's still working fine. But, I did the seal, bushing, and the long rod.

When you put the rod back in, did you clean it up with some fine sand paper? Shoving a crusty rod thru a tight hole will wallow 'er out in no time. lol

The bushing, yes, you always need the bushing. This is just a standard metric size bushing. You don't have to get it from Mike's or a dealer. In fact, it's usually much cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks - I'll try the long rod before doing anything else. The current rod that is in there was cleaned up before being re-installed. What is the best way to get out the ball bearing and second rod? Just hold a strong magnet to the seal or something else? Silly question, but I'd rather not get stumped once I have the case off.

Thanks.

Well, some have had success with a magnet but I was never able to do it. Maybe my magnet wasn't strong enough. I pulled the right cover and clutch pressure plate, pushing the parts out that way with the long rod inserted from the other side.

these fit perfectly to retrieve the ball and short rod inside the engine. no need to pull the right cover.

Attachments

• magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 101
Back