Found 3 Ball Bearings in Clutch Pushrod Assembly

GuytheBrave

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am replacing seal, bushing, and pushrod. Upon disassembly I found an extra ball bearing. See photo. The order shown in the photo is the order they came out.

1. Anyone ever seen this before?

2. How should I proceed? Use the old parts as they were or switch to the single piece pushrod with one bearing?
20230720_214836.jpg

I think I maybe answered my own question. Previous owner took the bearing from the worm and placed it between the inner and outer pushrods. I should be fine to assemble: Worm>bearing>single-piece-rod>bearing.

Correct?

From the clutch side it should be ball bearing, long rod, ball bearing, short rod. There is another ball bearing inside the worm assembly, but I don't think that is easily removable. If you use the long rod, you still need the first ball bearing on the clutch side.

My 74 came with the two piece rod, but I changed to a single, long steel rod with a bearing at either end. I extended the worm screw lever to make the clutch pull easier on my fused fingers. I also routed the cable between the carbs and attached the cable to the top, right engine mounts via two P clamps. The longer lever of course results in less movement of the clutch pushrod. To compensate I adjust the clutch by turning the screw out , then turning in until there is no slack. Regardless of a hot or cold engine, I've found neutral can be found quite easy while the bike is running and not moving, from first you just need to be slow and careful lifting the lever up that you don't engage second. I suspect neutral may be difficult to find on some bikes due to the very short throw of the lever. However, tapping down from second to neutral is a breeze.
If buying new clutch balls, apparently, Yamaha couldn't make up their mind whether to use imperial or metric sizing on their bikes, there are a couple of imperial sized things on the XS, the clutch worm screw ball is 5/16", and from memory, I think an 8mm ball and rod will fit in the gearbox shaft??? The master cylinder on the 74 is also imperial.

Back