Cookie Cutter "First Timer" Build

D-rock11

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drock11's 82 xs650

I don't plan on doing anything fancy with this build, just a simple hardtail that looks probably just like every other xs out there. Ive ridden dirt bikes since I was younger and this will be my first street bike. Im already eager to get it on the road :bike: Also I recently finished school for Automotive Collision Repair and started working the monday after graduation. Got my first paycheck on Friday May 30th, and this is how i spent it.

I picked up this 81 xs650 Saturday May 31st and didn't waste anytime getting the ball rolling. The odometer reads 12k (I believe this to be accurate after the tear down thus far) and according to the previous owner the ignition system needs replaced. It felt like it had good compression so I was hoping I wouldn't have to tear apart the motor... but once I got the bike in the garage and pulled the plugs I discovered the one was corroded pretty badly the its appropriate piston didn't look much better. I'll post pictures of this later this week when I begin to tear down the motor.

IMG_3903_zpsff2d3402.jpg

IMG_3906_zps76bbe991.jpg

I had some spare time today so I cleaned up the surface rust on the wheels and front end pieces

IMG_3907_zps2c0b005b.jpg

IMG_3908_zps43dcf0ef.jpg

This week I'm planning on tearing apart the motor so I can find out how bad it really is and what parts ill have to order. Im hoping that since it doesn't have that many miles on it i'll be able to get away with just cleaning the and replacing gaskets/hardware, but I won't know until I take the top end off. I won't be able to order parts until my next paycheck so i have time to figure out what I need first.

Also does anyone know where I could find the state laws for PA? I tried searching before and didn't have much luck. I just want to know what I can and can't get away with as far as turn signals, fenders, inspections ect..

Im making this thread mostly for help with any questions i have along the way, so any help from you guys in greatly appreciated!

-Derrick

Last edited:
Yeah, you obviously didn't waste any time. You obviously know how to spin a wrench. AND got a new job and paycheck. You've hit the ground running. Good deal!

Yeah, you obviously didn't waste any time. You obviously know how to spin a wrench. AND got a new job and paycheck. You've hit the ground running. Good deal!

Ive been wanting to do this build for the past year, I've waited long enough! The disassembly was easy, tearing apart the motor kind of worries me but with the all the DIYs out there I think I can handle it.

Got some disassembly done on the motor tonight. It came apart much easier than I was anticipating and everything on the inside looks better than I thought! Took of few pics of the rough pieces

IMG_3922_zps29b1c67d.jpg

IMG_3919_zps94c23826.jpg

IMG_3920_zps2a516462.jpg

I was almost done removing the jug and then it got stuck :shrug: Im assuming that since the one cylinder is corroded badly that it struggled to slide out. I started getting frustrated with it so I called it a night before I broke something. Its already coming out crooked :banghead:

IMG_3926_zps06a69b59.jpg

Hopefully final assembly goes just as smoothly!
IMG_3927_zps56c8abf3.jpg

doesn't matter about the piston coming out crooked. you need a rebore. there are kits at mikes, I bought the 1.5 over, runs great, ryko rings, came with decent instructions.
new fins, cylinders, rings, pistons to match. I took the kit to a bike shop to make sure it would all play nice together, and they only had to file one ring. I put it back together my self. My friend has a all stock 650, It is a gutless pig compared to my bike.
Check mikes. they don't have the 6th over(1.5)anymore. They only carry 4th over, but still a big improvement, and nothing goes back together easier than new. BTW, take your head to a shop, and have them check for flat. mine was not, so they milled it for me, and I don't know how much they took off, but I guesse enuf to raise compression. When I put it all back together, even with the rings not seated yet, it pulled 150#'s on both sides.

doesn't matter about the piston coming out crooked. you need a rebore. there are kits at mikes, I bought the 1.5 over, runs great, ryko rings, came with decent instructions.
new fins, cylinders, rings, pistons to match. I took the kit to a bike shop to make sure it would all play nice together, and they only had to file one ring. I put it back together my self. My friend has a all stock 650, It is a gutless pig compared to my bike.
Check mikes. they don't have the 6th over(1.5)anymore. They only carry 4th over, but still a big improvement, and nothing goes back together easier than new. BTW, take your head to a shop, and have them check for flat. mine was not, so they milled it for me, and I don't know how much they took off, but I guesse enuf to raise compression. When I put it all back together, even with the rings not seated yet, it pulled 150#'s on both sides.

I planned on going to mikes for a ignition/PMA kit, but is a rebore really nessesary? I figured a hone would do just fine.. Maybe some new rings.. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on the motor, but I haven't taken any measurements to see what parts are worn out and should be replaced yet.

Dang havent posted on here in a while! Times have been a little tough with my job and finances so work on the bike has been slow due to time/money, but progress is being made and this bike is always whats on my mind and keeps me going through the tough times.

The motor is back together minus a few bolts for the head that I have seemed to misplace after moving the motor around in the garage. Havent had a chance to really dig for them. The next step for me is to order the High Output Ignition/PMA kit from Mike's. I was told something was wrong with the ignition when I bought the bike and I also want to run battery-less, kick only. I also plan on riding this thing a lot so it looks like this is the kit i need plus a capacitor. With the ignition kit being $600 plus a $40 capacitor from TC this will be the most expensive part of my build.. hell I only paid $500 for the bike! But Id rather spend the few extra bucks here to have a reliable system. Hopefully after the holidays I can order this stuff then figure out how the hell to install it all and get this motor running

Heres a few pics of the motor. The side covers were suppose to be a dark gray but they turned out a more greenish color... might change the once the bike starts coming together more.

IMG_0470_zps02399e28.jpg

IMG_0472_zps85821743.jpg

IMG_0801_zps7e8ef816.jpg

IMG_0800_zpsd33902fa.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440544906.096627.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440544984.954593.jpg

Just the motivation I needed to keep things moving with this build.. zzr6 front end! Still waiting on a few pieces to finish the front end swap, but I had to mock it up [emoji4]

Back