Couple questions hooking up Pamco Electronic Ignition kit

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Weather terrible here in Muskoka Ont ,rain and possible SNOW this weekend.Decided to take the time now and hook up the Pamco Electronic Ignition kit. (Kit came with the new high output single coil with 2 connections for plug wires).Got the new coil ,spark plug wires and caps installed and mounted.Pulled the old original style coils and Condensor off.Nows were I'm kinda stuck.Im now left with a Red wire/white strip,(From stock wiring harness) 2 Orange and 2 white wires. Hows it all get connected .(This is a Standard 77D with points ) I read on the Pamco site that
the 3 wires coming from the pamco go Black to Frame (Ground) Green to Coil and Red I think goes to the Red with white strip and then to coil .Also do I need to run an extra ground from the coil to the frame?
Thx for any advise

OK ,read thru some old posts and pretty clear on install of Pamco, only question I have is after old coils, points wires and condenser
are removed I'm left with 1 red wire/white strip (I know were that goes). I am left with 2 white and 2 orange wires coming
out of wire harness at top of motor.Can I just connect them together and tape out of way or do they go some where?

I believe those are from the points you've removed..... The orange ones for sure. Simply tape em up and hide them, you'll be good to.
upload_2017-5-5_10-55-31.png

In the diagram queenslegs posted it has brown wires instead of R/W wires. Anyway, these provide power to the coils. The orange and grey wires run to the points. The points just ground the circuit. The condensers provide a path while the points are open to prevent arcing.
You will use the R/W wire to feed your new coil and the Pamco. The green wire provides the ground for the coil. The Black wire is ground for the Pamco.
The unused wires can just be left as is or taped up.
Leo

Ok Thx Guys,I guess my only concern was with the 2 white wires which were possibly brown at one point as the wiring
harness appears to have been worked on. I will tape up the 2 whites and 2 orange and keep going.
A day in the Garage working on the bike while its raining out, cant complain!

Does it matter if my spark lug wires are different lenghs,that coil had to be installed sideways and had to run a longer wire on the one side.
Maybe 3" longer.

Back