XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been battling to get these things tuned

Needle Jet=159P6
Needle=6D97
PJ=20 (tried swapped out 22.5)
MJ=180
Air jet removed

I've read that as a baseline, to set the slide heights with a 5/32" drill bit. In order for me to do that, I need to turn my throttle adjust screw out 6 turns to lower the slide. I didn't buy these carbs new, so that last guy could have screwed with them. Is it possible I have the wrong mixture screw?

Also - as a baseline, how many turns should I have the air-adjust screw at?

thanks

Here is what I am running now. Stock engine. needle 6f9 clip 3 position nj=p-6, pj=25, mj=180, ca=2.5, aj=none, fl=25 from M.M.M 650 Central seems to work now. Tony C

screw in the top cable adjusters to start with.before you start using the drill bit method. Tony C

thanks - not trying to turn this into a VM tuning thread..................I'm just stumped on this idle screw / slide thing. the top adjusters are all the way down. I still need to turn the screws out 6 turns to get the the slides to drop to the appropraite level. something just doesnt seem right.

Your needle is wrong and you don't count the turns in/out on the idle speed adjusting screw, that's a mix or air screw thing. Turns in/out on the idle speed screw don't really mean or tell you anything. You just set it where it needs to be for the proper idle speed.

Right. Antblyme, there is no 6D97 needle. What you probably have is the 6DP1. The 6F9 will give you much better results.

Back