Cricket Noise In Engine All the time

rustyshack

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I just got my hands on a 1978 XS650 Special with about 32k on it. I know the valves were worked on and the carbs rebuilt, but I noticed a unique cricket noise in the engine that I've recorded on YouTube that you can watch here:

You'll want to watch the video the whole way through to appreciate the cricket sound.

Has anyone experienced this/came up with a solution for it before I go tearing it apart to find out? It doesn't look like the sound goes away when the clutch is pulled in.

I don't know if this is related or not, knowing full well that I'm going to have to redo the clutch in this baby, lately I've been experiencing a "boat rowing" sensation in 2nd and 3rd gear where it feels as if the engine under load is pulling forward and then releasing and then pulling forward again (row, row, row, row, row...) but at the same time I'm not losing any torque or acceleration. Unsure if this is just the 650 telling me to upshift, or the sign of something else.

Sound clutch like? Also noticed an oil leak happening above the chain where it hits the sprocket.

All are these things related? Not looking for anyone to do my mechanic work but would appreciate some xs650 advice.

Thanks.

I don't hear anything really out of the ordinary. These bikes do make more top end noise than a newer bike would. I would adjust the cam chain and the valves (in that order), see if that makes any difference.

For the surging, hows the chain look? Tight spots?
If it is the front sprocket with the oil check the nut is tightened to spec.
Welcome to the site.

Hmm. Good suggestions. I'll check up on these things shortly and will keep you all posted if I make any progress. Anyhow, in the interim, keep the suggestions coming.

Very glad to be a part of this forum.

Crickets, Air leaks on the intake?
Row Row Row your boat, In the lower gears you are putting a very large amount of torque through the clutch. There are cushion springs in the clutch that absorb some of the shock. If these springs are broke you will notice this rowing more.
Check for air leaks with most any spray can of lube or cleaner, around the carbs where the fit in the holders as wellas around the throttle shafts.
You need to pull the clutch to look at the back of the basket to see the springs.
Leo

Back