Cross threaded bleeder valve

beatnikspirit

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I wasn't paying attention and I cross threaded the bleeder valve on my front brake caliper I tried to tap it out and screw the bleeder screw back in to no avail. Any suggestions? Can anyone give me the dimensions for the bleeder screw? Maybe I can find one that is slightly larger and get it to fit? I'm trying to avoid buying the whole caliper but may have to. It's a 1980 xs650. I haven't tried Teflon tape yet but don't think it's going to help much if I did. Thanks.

take your caliper into an auto parts store or even a tire and break place. the may have a replacement for you. not sure of the size sorry. good luck.

If I had to replace a caliper or master I'd use it as an opportunity to upgrade.

At Advanced Auto they have HELP! parts on the shelves. They have a kit that you drill out the old bleeder, thread for the included adapter, thread in the adapter. thread in the new bleeder.
Don't recall the price but less than a new caliper.
I'm sure other parts stores have the same or similar kits.
The Dorman HELP! kit #13960 comes with the adapter and bleeder for $5.99. It fits bleeders under 5/16 inch.
They have other kits for larger bleeders. They have one kit that covers both sizes.
Leo

Back