Custom exhaust on bike I just got leaks at head

bpupeza

I like motorcycles
Reaction score
70CCD0D5-5516-46EE-9E31-2776547ECE30.jpeg D5BA3B74-CA0D-4BF9-8CBD-759D2D4778CD.jpeg 6E41BD59-C02F-45AF-BEE3-FDA9AB7265FA.jpeg B240520F-CB65-4B9F-8CAA-86D4C0DBE43A.jpeg I got a street tracker last week with home built exhaust on it. It leaks at the head and I’m not sure what the idea was when they built it.
The clamps were bottoming out on the head and the gaskets were not crushed. It appears that the pipes were only held in place by a slip fit as there are no collars welded to the header itself.
What do I need to do to complete thes pipes properly?

That looks like a right mashup.....Slip fit may be ok, if you use springs. That requires spring loops to be welded or brazed to the headers. The other end can be hooked to small holes drilled into cooling fins, or washers with a spring ear, held by the flange nuts. Or special flanges. In any case, the spigot part should be one piece, not 2 or 3......
If it was my bike, I would also look for some more substantial mufflers......Those tiny mufflers may look cool, but I bet they are ridiculously noisy....And will almost guarantee undesirable attention from the law.

On ebay recently, there have been some new style exhaust gaskets for our bikes. Thick, multi layered woven metal with brass plates where it meets pipe and head. They are thicker than the normal gaskets and look like they can be used multiple times. I'm running them now. So far so good.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didnt think that it would work as is. There is nothing to keep exhaust from leaking out and around the inner sleeves. so it looks like it will require parts and welding. Maybe I will just invest in a better system.

View attachment 149351 View attachment 149352 View attachment 149353 View attachment 149354 I got a street tracker last week with home built exhaust on it. It leaks at the head and I’m not sure what the idea was when they built it.
The clamps were bottoming out on the head and the gaskets were not crushed. It appears that the pipes were only held in place by a slip fit as there are no collars welded to the header itself.
What do I need to do to complete thes pipes properly?
I was able to order the sleeves and collars from the DIY exhaust kit sold by TC Bros. I will take it to a muffler shop and have them welded to my pipes.

Back