Custom rear axle spacers for XS650,,,where to get them

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
Where do you guys get yours at? I really don't want to buy a 50 dollar kit.
I need 2 for my rear axle.And both are 1 inch.
I tried the washer trick and it was not looking good. They were sloppy as hell.
Even tried a piece of pipe,,, still sloppy.

There are fab shops in my area but no one has a metal lathe to spin them for me.

maybe these?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/motors/collars/power-transmission-collars/metric-set-screw-collar-gmc-20-ss?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5MGxBRDiuZm2icXX2-sBEiQA619bqwjhdNUNaPL_DnBJZpFvSJkUJjy5dqSVj7plhWmdWEkaAlge8P8HAQ

CIX_GMC-20-SS.jpg

14mm wide so 2 would be a bit over an inch.

Those shops might be holding back on you. You need to go in armed with dimensions, material preference . No business will re-invent your wheel for you. Tell them what you want and when you can pick it up.

Where do you guys get yours at? I really don't want to buy a 50 dollar kit.
I need 2 for my rear axle.And both are 1 inch.
I tried the washer trick and it was not looking good. They were sloppy as hell.
Even tried a piece of pipe,,, still sloppy.
There are fab shops in my area but no one has a metal lathe to spin them for me.

Hi hit,
it'd cost you way north of $50 to get a rush machining job done commercially.
Betcha it'd cost the shop more than $50 just to stop the machinist making production parts and re-tool to make your custom sleeves.
What you need is a "Bro with lathe" who is willing to turn aluminum in exchange for beer.
Failing that, lets hope DaddyG can help you.

Hi hit,
it'd cost you way north of $50 to get a rush machining job done commercially.
Betcha it'd cost the shop more than $50 just to stop the machinist making production parts and re-tool to make your custom sleeves.
What you need is a "Bro with lathe" who is willing to turn aluminum in exchange for beer.
Failing that, lets hope DaddyG can help you.
============================================
I just realized my neighbor has a killer shop. He does a ton of govt. contract work.:banghead: So I dropped him a note saying what I needed and also that I would probably be interested in a larger order. Mainly due to the fact that it seems everyone is looking for spacers for the rear of these XS650 hardtails.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens. IF this happens the price will be cost plus shipping.

Oh well,,,

I just broke down and got a full set from Lowbrow. But I am seriously considering a small lathe if I can find one that is affordable. Then I can make some of the things myself, and others need.
Consider this closed.

- - - I am seriously considering a small lathe if I can find one that is affordable. - - -

Hi Hit,
get as big a lathe as will fit in your shop.
For what you need, big, old and simple beats small, new and complicated.
Ideally, a gap bed that's big enough to swing a cast wheel on.
And your Xmas list gets easy too.
"More tungsten carbide lathe tools, please?"

I just went down to the local Yamaha dealer and took my axle with me and they went through their used parts bin and found spacers that fit. Cost me about a buck.

Back