Cutting and paint stripping. Advice before I start.

halliday77

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Finally balls-deep in my '81 cafe build and getting ready to strip the paint and cut the frame. Just want a couple of tips before I get started.

Firstly, cutting.

I'm planning on cutting off the rear loop and welding on a flat one, not too stressed about that. What I also want to do though, is lop off any of the extra and unnecessary tabs to open the thing up and lose a few extra kilos.

The battery box is gone, so i'll be taking off the tabs that attached the side covers, same with the center stand and its mounts.

Anything else you guys can think of that can get the axe?

Once everything's cut, I have to take off the rest of the paint and any rust before i repaint.

I'm doing all of this myself, so I wonder if you guys have any tips?
I've got a huge can of paint remover and a few brushes ready. As for the rust, I'm thinking a wire brush on a drill should do the trick for bolt threads, etc, and a grinder can take care of anything on the frame. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys.
I'll post some progress pics on the weekend.

Cheers

Have you considered having it sandblasted? Makes paint prep a lot easier. Careful with a grinder on the frame, the stock tubes are pretty thin.

I wouldn't cut anything off till you are doing the mock up. Some of those tabs may come in handy.
Once you get it mocked up, then cut off the tabs you are not using.
On your center stand I might leave the mounts. This way when you need to put the bike up straight you can just put the stand on minus the spring. Pop it up on the stand, Do the work you need to do, like tire changes, oil changes, whatever, then remove the stand.
The mounts aren't that heavy.
Leo

Just scuff the original paint on the frame with a 3M pad instead of removing it all - my painter told me that the new primer and paint will stick much better to paint than raw steel.

thanks for putting this thread up, I could definitely use help with this! I just cut and grinded a lot off of my frame and unfortunately was a little to ambitious with the cutting...dug into the frame on a couple spots. How should I build those spots back up? Fortunately nothing went all the way through

My advice would be to get the bike mocked up then decide what to lop off, as your build will no doubt subtly change as you progress. As for the frame, get it blasted and powder coated. That way way you can be sure that all the old paint, crap and rust has been banished, plus powder coating is much harder wearing.

I was planning on stripping mine, hopefully so I can clear powder it and still see the bluing in the welds and such. Is that how it looks post strip?

I painted my tank and fenders, for the take i just used paint remover paste - make sure you wash it with water once you have all the paint off. As for the fenders i just sanded them with 100 or 120 to scuff up the chrome, its been six months and everything is still holding up

Back